Typefaces for unit names (Greek, Hieroglyphs, Sanskrit, ...)

idanwin

Will it be possible to use writings, such as egyptian, arabic, ... in the unit names?

In the egyptians design document we have the hieroglyphs for certain buildings/units, but - of course - we can't use those in the game yet.

It would be nice to be able to do so, and it would also help with the 'historically based' image of the game.

Edited by idanwin

that would be AWESOME

but would we have to create an entirely new typeface just for the Egyptian cultures?

and would we change the other cultures too? Sanskrit for the mauryans and a legitimate greek alphabet for the hellenistic cultures?

and if we don't know the original alphabet, then we have a problem with inconsistancies between legitimate and phonetic words

a cuneiform typeface? lol that'd be cool though

It's true that for some civilisations this could become a problem ... but we could say that we already have this problem ^^ all civilisations except the romans have their names written in the wrong alphabet xD

Depending on how difficult this is, this could - I believe - be a worthwhile addition to the game.

BTW, I retitle the post to something more general.

would we have to create an entirely new typeface

Not necessarily; we could just have an image for each building/unit,

we could make a typeset with only the necessary letter,

or we could use existing typefaces for these alphabets (where available)...

Edited by idanwin

I don't think we'd want a separate image for each name/phrase, that would be very complex - especially with our very static GUI where the size of everything is fixed. But it shouldn't be a problem to use the standard text renderer if you can find an adequately licensed font.

... or if I make it myself, if it has to come to that ...

I've made fonts in the past, but they were always latin, and contained only 26 letters ... I like our alphabet. I can't imagine a chinese person saying: Hey, I'm bored of these fonts, I'll make one myself for my website!

Anyway, I'll have a look on the internet.

Greek shouldn't be hard.

Actually making a real good font is quite a lot of work, as there are a lot of typographical things that have to be considered.

Beside that, I don't really see the benefit. How would I e.g. be able to remind the differences of the arabic name of two units?

Beside that, I don't really see the benefit. How would I e.g. be able to remind the differences of the arabic name of two units?

True, not saying making a font is easy, but making a latin font is something an artist can do on his own, making a chinese font must be ... crazy.

If I'm not mistaken, this is our standard font: http://dejavu.sf.net.../DejaVuSans.pdf (PDF)

It supposedly supports "Greek" script, which I assume is identical to Ancient Greek?

Yup.

You always have the generic name beneath.

For egyptian there is a word processing program used by egyptologists (It's Open Source!) called jSesh that will export hieroglyphs to unicode characters. Here's the website: http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/

An easier option would just be to write out the Ancient Egyptian words in the Coptic (Christian Late Egyptian) alphabet, which is supported by dejavusans...

Will it be possible to use writings, such as egyptian, arabic, ... in the unit names?

In the egyptians design document we have the hieroglyphs for certain buildings/units, but - of course - we can't use those in the game yet.

It would be nice to be able to do so, and it would also help with the 'historically based' image of the game.

I think the problem with this is they wouldn't really communicate anything to the player, if they weren't familiar with those writing systems. Even transliterated words, if you know the alphabet, can seem familiar and you can try pronouncing them, etc. That said, it would be interesting to show names in the original writing systems somewhere, where they are known, maybe in the manual or the in-game unit info screens (TBD) or civ profiles on the website. They would likely only clutter up the in-game UI though.

Afaik LaTeX is at least sometimes used to typeset Hieroglyphs, so it should be possible to do within the manual, but it would require some work.

I have no experience with HieroTeX [1] but I guess it would work.

Regarding other writing systems I see one problem: What if they are written from right-to-the-left? I don't think LaTeX can actually properly handle this, maybe XeTeX or LuaTeX, but I don't know enough about these to be sure.

E: the hieroglf-package looks like an alternative. Example with other ancient wirting systems [2]

[1] Installation instruction: http://www.gierds.de...XnicCenter.html

[2] ftp://ftp.rrzn.uni-hannover.de/pub/mirror/tex-archive/fonts/archaic/asamples.pdf

Edited by kosmo