Hotkeys

alpha123

Ok, I've given this some thoughts. I like your idea of the "restrict selection to bounding box" thing, it could be useful, but I also think we could try to avoid it if we had options for selecting particular stuffs in the bounding box directly.

SO we do have the "add only military units" to selection. This should definitely pair with a "add only females to selection". We probably could use one for "Add only idle units to selection".

I also do not think you can "deselect" a type of unit by any key combination when you've selected many right now, but I might be wrong (I mean in the GUI screen at the bottom).

Furthermore I was re-reading the reviews to Celtic Kings (old, unknown RTS/RPG hybrid that was pretty interesting) and it appears they had hotkeys for "select weakened units", "select veterans", things like that. I'm not saying it's high priority, but I think it'd be fairly cool to have something like that.

The 'select only idle civilians/civilian-soldiers' is a must. It's something that all RTSs I've played up till now have lacked.

There would be an alt + double-click to select all units of same rank if I understood correctly, you can select all veterans that way, can't you?

Ok, I've given this some thoughts. I like your idea of the "restrict selection to bounding box" thing, it could be useful, but I also think we could try to avoid it if we had options for selecting particular stuffs in the bounding box directly.

This approach works both ways, and it's also more general than just in the bounding box (although that's undoubtedly the most common use).

We probably could use one for "Add only idle units to selection".

Shift+Alt+. (idle workers) or Shift+Alt+, (idle fighters).

I also do not think you can "deselect" a type of unit by any key combination when you've selected many right now, but I might be wrong (I mean in the GUI screen at the bottom).

You currently do have to Ctrl+click them to deselect, but I can't think of a nice way to do that with hotkeys.

Furthermore I was re-reading the reviews to Celtic Kings (old, unknown RTS/RPG hybrid that was pretty interesting) and it appears they had hotkeys for "select weakened units", "select veterans", things like that. I'm not saying it's high priority, but I think it'd be fairly cool to have something like that.

I'd prefer a more general solution, but having a general and yet fast to use solution is difficult. Select weakened units would be great, especially with the restrict selection key (e.g. 1 Ctrl+Shift+w to select all weakened units in group 1 (although selected weakened probably wouldn't be bound to W, but you get the point)).

The 'select only idle civilians/civilian-soldiers' is a must. It's something that all RTSs I've played up till now have lacked.

. selects an idle worker and , selects an idle fighter. Citizen soldiers are included in both of these, naturally. The cool part is that they work with Alt, which is the generic "select all" key. But that selects all of them across the map, and currently there's no way to just select idles in a certain area (more useful, IMO, than selecting them on the whole map).

There would be an alt + double-click to select all units of same rank if I understood correctly, you can select all veterans that way, can't you?

I believe that's Alt+triple-click, and yeah, you could select all veterans that way. But first you'd have to find one veteran (so that you could triple-click him), which may be a bit challenging.

There needs to be a way for citizen-soldiers to only accept military commands at the player's discretion, because maneuvering around trees can be very tricky if you don't want to gather wood there.

Either:

1. Attack-move there, although that's not always what you want.
  2. Force attack there (Ctrl+Alt+right click). I haven't actually tested to see if this works though.
  3. Or become Korean and have really accurate clicks. :P

There needs to be a way for citizen-soldiers to only accept military commands at the player's discretion, because maneuvering around trees can be very tricky if you don't want to gather wood there.

As alpha123 says, the addition of the Attack-Move order in Alpha 13 solves this issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I implemented some of these:

• Stop hotkey (#1870)
  • Location hotkeys (#1882)
  • A hotkey to cycle through heroes (#1802) (Malcom did all the real work on this one, I just added the hotkey.)

Based on the hero hotkey I was able to quickly implement hotkeys for cycling through civ centers, barracks, and fortresses. Let me know if you think other buildings should have hotkeys. Also, currently CCs are bound to J, barracks to K, and fortresses to L, which are completely arbitrary and I'm not really fond of. If you have other ideas please let me know.

The other training buildings (kennel, gymnasium, stables, etc.) should have hotkeys.

The thing is thanks to WASD and Z-M for training we don't really have all that many available. I think I'll move location hotkeys off UIOP though, that should open enough spots, although they may be pretty arbitrary.

Why not simply let the user decide? Seems to be the simplest solution IMO.

They already can. ;) All the hotkeys are in the config file.

Also I got building hotkeys working great for all the standard buildings, I just need to add some for special buildings.

I only change keybinds when i use constantly some buttons, then i adapt the most used shortcuts to my preferred buttons: Q,W,E,A,S,D, Z, X, C, Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Tab, Space and the numbers 1-4. In some cases, i need even more keybinds, then abuse the mouse wheel (Shift/Ctrl/Alt + mouse wheel rules!) to have +9 available "keys". I know most people already know, but the conclusion is: for actions that need to be fast, the closer to the hands' idle position, the better, while for actions while "out of danger" (like building), i wouldn't mind having the keys far away.

Edited by Pedro Falcão