===[TASK]=== Rubble

historic_bruno

Bored today at work I made some more rubble for different structure sizes:

CC, short/med/long/tower wall, and house rubbles. Destruct decals not included. You can still making more rubble sizes/variations of course :P

(*Note: AO looks darker in blender than it looks in-game)

Some screens:

post-13528-0-08319200-1349294025_thumb.jpost-13528-0-85327600-1349294035_thumb.jpost-13528-0-04029600-1349294043_thumb.jpost-13528-0-00225100-1349294050_thumb.j

I attach the zip with their daes, texture and 512 AO textures. Please someone get them into the game. Thanks :)

rubble.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Enrique, very nice work on rubbles !

I just would say that on the first picture (the Mauryan ruin), there are 2 shapes that look like 2 huge rocks, and they don't feel like ruins at all, they look like huge natural rocks. Better remove them.. What do you think ?

Indeed, they look like large concrete slabs, which feel too modern.

all Civ Centre have same rumbble?

I think it would be nice to differentiate... For the Hellenic civic centers maybe throw in some columns; for the Mauryans their distinctive arched top; for the Persians a few blue bull statues and pillars, etc. They could all have the same rubble template with just a few props added.

Enrique, very nice work on rubbles !

I just would say that on the first picture (the Mauryan ruin), there are 2 shapes that look like 2 huge rocks, and they don't feel like ruins at all, they look like huge natural rocks. Better remove them.. What do you think ?

Indeed, they look like large concrete slabs, which feel too modern.

I still have to do rubbles for more building sizes and shapes. so I'll modify those while I'm at it. with your feedback.

I'm just working on too many things at the same time xD but I have to focus on finishing rubble, since it's already implemented.

Que barbaro ! Superb work Enrique. I didn't expected something so cool. :)

I agree with Mythos about the well. I also personally would break the columns of the fifth example (greek town center ?..) a little more.

Question : is there, or shouldn't there be the possibility in the game to gather stone/wood/metal from the ruins of buildings ? Well, most of it is destroyed, but at least stone is most of the time reusable. The thing with that is that materials are usually gathered by villagers, and they usually are far from the battlefield where soldiers destroy enemy buildings, so they couldn't bring back the materials easily... but well, just a thought...

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the decal vanished pretty suddenly... it'd be worth it to spend some time making them vanish in a more interpolated way before deleting them.

IIRC, Myconid made the waterfals shader to use the second UV set to define the opacity of the texture. (left full opacity, right full transparency) If we can get a slow animation from left to right of that second UV set... just a thought not sure if it would work.

BTW, custom docks rubbles for each civ commited. Check them out and let me know if you find things that need to be fixed.

IIRC, Myconid made the waterfals shader to use the second UV set to define the opacity of the texture. (left full opacity, right full transparency) If we can get a slow animation from left to right of that second UV set... just a thought not sure if it would work.

I would not recommend 'hardcoding' this effect into the UVs. It will require lots of duplicate work putting it into each and every rubble asset and similarly, if at a later point someone wants to change or disable the effect they have to alter each and every rubble asset. It must be possible to make a simple 'fade' effect in the renderer that is applied automatically to all rubble decals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everything looks good so far. Need generic stone rubble for 4x4, 5x5, and some odd sizes (like 2x3, 4x6, 6x4, etc.). And perhaps, as time goes on, you can make custom rubble meshes for the various special buildings and wonders.

Done. I'm in the process of adding them to their respective buildings.

Is there any way to know which building has those sizes? or it's a matter of checking one by one by hand? :S

EDIT: Nevermind, Alexander showed me a way :D

Edited by Enrique