Fan-made Atlas Icon

I like my desktop (and launcher) icons to fit together and that is why I made myself an Atlas icon:

post-4287-0-52991600-1347795395_thumb.pn

0adatlas.png, 512x512,

made with Blender & Gimp

Everything was done by me, except the original map of the earth which came from NASA. If I read correctly on their site this imagery is not copyrighted, and can be used for educational and informational purposes. Not sure whether an open source game counts as any of those two, but as this is fan-made material I guess it doesn't matter that much.

So I guess I can freely say: "Feel free to download and use this."

(btw: yes I know the trade routes are bullocks, but as this will, probably, at most serve as a 64x64 icon you won't notice that)

EDIT:

A new version with clearer coastlines and more ocean/continent contrast. The angle has been changed as well.

post-4287-0-23531100-1347811310_thumb.pn

0adatlas.png, 512x512,

made with Blender & Gimp

Edited by idanwin

Any chance you can link to the original map? If it's just fan art for personal use, the problem is limited, but if you are suggesting including it in the release as the standard icon for Atlas, "can be used for educational and informational purposes" would not suffice.

I took the topographic map from this page (the penultimate): http://earthobservat...e_monthlies.php

You gave it that olden look and drew the trade routes yourself? Nicely done :) The image use policy seems to say that the image is "freely available for re-publication or re-use, including commercial purposes", which ought to be good enough for including it in the release (unless it is from the "SeaWiFS sensor", but it does not appear that way).

• 2 months later...

Everything was done by me, except the original map of the earth which came from NASA.

Can you link to the page with the original image? Original images created solely by NASA are not protected by copyright, but it is worth making extra sure before thinking about committing.

I'm having some trouble with the rendering and I believe the problem has something to do with the UVmapping: there seems to be this noise over some parts of the globe. When I deactivate UVmapping for the circular bars around the globe this noise disappears and everything looks fine. I haven't found a way to bypass this yet and I don't know what I changed to make this happen. Does anyone else have the same problem when rendering the blend file I uploaded? Or does anyone have an idea what may have gone wrong?

post-4287-0-36157500-1353861072_thumb.jp

Jeru, are you ensuring the source is ok in order to officially use this icon the Atlas icon ? If so, cool !

No, I don't normally deal with that sort of thing, but if anyone would want to use it, it's a topic worth looking into.

If idanwin drew the trade routes and everything then it is definitely legit, so long as he releases the icon under a relevant license (public domain, cc-by or cc-by-sa).

I'm having some trouble with the rendering and I believe the problem has something to do with the UVmapping: there seems to be this noise over some parts of the globe. When I deactivate UVmapping for the circular bars around the globe this noise disappears and everything looks fine. I haven't found a way to bypass this yet and I don't know what I changed to make this happen. Does anyone else have the same problem when rendering the blend file I uploaded? Or does anyone have an idea what may have gone wrong?

post-4287-0-36157500-1353861072_thumb.jp

That noise is generated by Texture.005 (cloud texture) which is used on the globe material. The texture is trying to use UV coordinates but the globe is not UV unwrapped, and therefore, the normal bump value you use results in that weird noise.

You can fix it disabling that texture (005), or using "global coordinates" with "sphere projection" like you did with the other textures used in the globe.

• 5 months later...