Random Map Script:Unknown

Spahbod

After a match with by brother in a map of the same name in AOM, I decided not to delay it more. The map is essentially unknown. You can find yourselves in many situations, most of them came from the themes of the existing maps. I am going to add more themes in near future but I can't be sure if it would be ready before this release. The amount of trees, hills, mines and animals are random, meaning that you can find yourself in a game without much metal and wood but with a lot of stone. I couldn't make screenshots (I'll make one as soon as I can) so you must update your svn version of the game to see this and bug reports are very much appreciated. No more talk. Hope you enjoy. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A new version of the map, Unknown Nomad, is added to the svn. As the name suggests, in this map you start with only a handful of units. Unfortunately, you can't build CCs in the beginning of the game so it is listed under the "Demo" category of maps until some decision is made about it. To add more difficulties, Atlas will break if you try to "play" this map in it. Nevertheless, it'd be fun to play this when it's ready.

:)

I'm not sure which is the best solution, but the easiest is probably to have the CC buildable from the start, but have a limit of one CC until you reach the town phase :) That way you will be able to rebuild the CC if it is destroyed before you reach the town phase as well. This does of course include the small "cheat" that you would be able to move your CC to a more favorable position by destroying the default and then rebuilding somewhere else. It could be prevented by for example making it impossible to delete, but I think there's little reason to make it impossible as the cost of building a CC is so high. Better to have that possibility which could open up new strategies on particularly hard maps etc :)

I'm not sure which is the best solution, but the easiest is probably to have the CC buildable from the start, but have a limit of one CC until you reach the town phase :) That way you will be able to rebuild the CC if it is destroyed before you reach the town phase as well. This does of course include the small "cheat" that you would be able to move your CC to a more favorable position by destroying the default and then rebuilding somewhere else. It could be prevented by for example making it impossible to delete, but I think there's little reason to make it impossible as the cost of building a CC is so high. Better to have that possibility which could open up new strategies on particularly hard maps etc :)

That is the solution used in AoK. AoM only lets you build town centers on settlements. Rise of Nations's cities couldn't be destroyed (only captured). Starcraft's and Warcraft's main buildings were built as close to resources as possible.

But i think we must be able to destroy them for strategic reasons, yeah. But demolitions should take time, and forts and civic centres should take a very long time, so that the player will think twice where he is building it, for it can be used against the builder.

Imho we should do things the above way (one CC always buildable, town phase technology unlocks unlimited), but if nothing else we need a building limit technology to do this, so someone needs to implement that. :) I talked about it in IRC with quantumstate and Mythos_Ruler once, but they didn't seem to care too much either way either of them. It would be nice to have someone else give their opinion :)