Hello and a request!

Well, after 24 hours of no sleep, I can announce the arrival of my daughter, Rebekah! The contractions that started at 3am ended up stopping by 6am. As my wife was due to be induced we went to hospital anyway, where she was checked, and then at 12:30 her waters were broken. Two and a half hours later the baby was born! Everything went pretty well. My wife had a little bleed so had to stay in overnight, and hopefully will be returning home later today. I had to return home when she was moved to the ward. Now I'm watching our other two children whilst waiting to pick my wife and Rebekah up! She was born 2:55pm on the 19th, and weighed 7lb 11oz!

Congrats!

Thanks!

Wooah! Congrats on your new baby!

May God bless you and your family!

Thanks! So far he's blessed us in the form of all three of the kids (all under three!) being asleep!!

Congrats (y) Glad to hear everything went so well :)

And thanks!

Thanks!

Well, I've edited about half a page so far. That's two nights' work - both times felt too tired to do more - sleep deprivation is growing! But I've started! :P

Don't worry, you seem to be doing really well. I started writing my book almost ten years ago, and only now am getting close to where I want to be :) (Have been editing for the last year or so, and before that I spent quite some time changing from first person to third person, but still, it shows the importance of persistence on the one hand, but perhaps even more to actually spend time on it :) There have been weeks and months when I haven't done anything at all :P Especially at the time when I changed from first to third person, wasn't the funniest/most interesting part if I say so =) )

At least J-Dx wrote his story. I wrote a sci fi story way back in the third grade and it was about four pages long. I worked for two years expanding it but it never got beyond the first chapter... I wish I still had that imagination :(

@J-Dx: But still looking forward to the next installment.

At least J-Dx wrote his story. I wrote a sci fi story way back in the third grade and it was about four pages long. I worked for two years expanding it but it never got beyond the first chapter... I wish I still had that imagination :(

Imagination is something you need to exercise to get full use of, start writing something, take notes on ideas you get and work from there. Maybe it won't be something worth pursuing, but it may spark ideas for something else. Also, I've found that things like walking/biking/working with your hands are good to get your brain going. To let the body do the work and the mind run free :) I think part of the problem today is that we always have music/internet/SMS/etc around us, and while each of those things can provide inspiration in some way, all of them will limit your ability to let your brain process the things you have seen and heard. :)

@J-Dx: But still looking forward to the next installment.

I've been writing different things on and off fairly seriously since 15. I even wrote a Star Wars novel that got to about 120,000 words! Never finished it though. For the world in which Endari is set I've written countless short stories, some good, some bad, which have helped develop the world and characters. Plenty of what I've written I've decided won't make it into the 'official' story/stories. Plenty never got past chapter one or a few pages.

Imagination is something you need to exercise to get full use of, start writing something, take notes on ideas you get and work from there. Maybe it won't be something worth pursuing, but it may spark ideas for something else. Also, I've found that things like walking/biking/working with your hands are good to get your brain going. To let the body do the work and the mind run free :) I think part of the problem today is that we always have music/internet/SMS/etc around us, and while each of those things can provide inspiration in some way, all of them will limit your ability to let your brain process the things you have seen and heard. :)

I think I value imagination over most things! I've always had a good imagination, playing games when I was a kid, to inventing/developing board games. Some were pretty good! It helped that I had a brother only two years younger that I could bounce off. But between drawing, writing, reading, game-creation, song writing, I've always been exercising my imagination! Exercise does help - seems to clear your head. And getting away from everything always helps! I always found it annoying that, a lot of the time, I'd have my best ideas late at night when trying to go to sleep. Quite a few times I've got out of bed just to scribble something down.

But then this was supposed to be a short story. It simply seemed to grow of its own accord and now is seven chapters long (in notes). I have definitely found that having written dozens of short stories based on the Endari world, set across a very wide time span, has made it so much easier to write a longer story/novel.

I hope to eventually publish this, probably self-publish on Amazon or something, but its got a long way to go before its ready!

Don't worry, you seem to be doing really well. I started writing my book almost ten years ago, and only now am getting close to where I want to be :) (Have been editing for the last year or so, and before that I spent quite some time changing from first person to third person, but still, it shows the importance of persistence on the one hand, but perhaps even more to actually spend time on it :) There have been weeks and months when I haven't done anything at all :P Especially at the time when I changed from first to third person, wasn't the funniest/most interesting part if I say so =) )

That would be very interesting to read!

I've been writing different things on and off fairly seriously since 15. I even wrote a Star Wars novel that got to about 120,000 words! Never finished it though. For the world in which Endari is set I've written countless short stories, some good, some bad, which have helped develop the world and characters. Plenty of what I've written I've decided won't make it into the 'official' story/stories. Plenty never got past chapter one or a few pages.

Oh, wow :) That's pretty serious :) Then it's no surprise you seem to have found a way that works for you :) Personally I'm mostly writing as I go along (though I do have a pretty good idea about where things will end up, just not how I will get there =) ), perhaps things would go smoother if I did at least some basic outlining =)

But then this was supposed to be a short story. It simply seemed to grow of its own accord and now is seven chapters long (in notes). I have definitely found that having written dozens of short stories based on the Endari world, set across a very wide time span, has made it so much easier to write a longer story/novel.

That's amazing how things can develop into something that you didn't expect it to :)

I hope to eventually publish this, probably self-publish on Amazon or something, but its got a long way to go before its ready

I'm thinking along those lines myself. Mostly because I want the experience of actually laying out an entire book etc. (But at least to a tiny degree because I would prefer to have at least parts done of the story that comes after the one I'm getting close to being finished with before I try to find a publisher. We'll see what happens, I have/will have a few people reading through it, and it depends on what they say a lot after all, if no one else enjoys reading it then there's no point in trying to make them ;) )

That would be very interesting to read!

Hopefully the story itself is interesting, but the process of its conception etc is pretty interesting as well if I may say so myself :) The first embryos of the main story (for which the story I'm writing now is a prequel, but more on that in a moment) came to me when I was walking in a forest close to where I lived when I was younger, and then through a couple of years of different tries (some of which ended up not having much to do with what I have now, and certainly not being finished, but all have left some traces :) ) I ended up with the beginnings of a couple of chapters from different parts of the story (got ideas which I then thought "this will fit into the story about here"), but not much in terms of actual words written. Most chapters were just a page or a few. Since I realized it would take a lot to finish that part of the overall story (already the chapters I had written parts of hinted at a comparatively long story, perhaps complex, but at least long =) ), and that it would probably be helpful to have fully written something before truly putting time into something that big, I decided to write a story about one of the characters in the big story. And now about eight or so years later here I am, with about 74-75 000 words (my intention was always to try and write a shorter story, so about 75 000 words is pretty ok for a shorter story =) ). During these years I've had ideas for a final book/story that will tie the two together (and I have actually written what I aim for the end to be like =) ), so I like to think about it in this way: first comes a story that can be read on its own (in one book), then comes another story that can be read on its own (I will have to see how long it actually ends up being, but I've always seen it as a trilogy =) ), and then comes a final story (I see it as one book) that ties the two together, and where one is certainly encouraged to have read the two different parts before reading it :)

We will have to see what comes of it, but I at least have ideas =) I just need to actually spend the time required to get them onto paper (or into the computer, but I mostly start on paper). In fact I've probably written more regularly the last two years than during the entire period before, during the summers I've worked in a city that lies just above an hours bus trip away from home (depends on how long the waiting time is between buses) and on the bus and during the lunch break at work has been great opportunities to write. Last year I still had some chapters I wrote as first drafts (I thought the story lacked a bit in the middle so I added a bunch of chapters, altogether the story went from about 40 000 words earlier and to the ca 74 000 I have now :) ), and this year I have been editing :) The good thing about writing on the bus is that it's a good mix between not being able to do much else, and having some distraction so as to not keep you too bored :) I know it's probably not something for everyone, but for me it's been great :)

Not sure all that is interesting to anyone but me, but anyway, I'm not going to delete it once I've written all this =)

Oh, wow :) That's pretty serious :) Then it's no surprise you seem to have found a way that works for you :) Personally I'm mostly writing as I go along (though I do have a pretty good idea about where things will end up, just not how I will get there =) ), perhaps things would go smoother if I did at least some basic outlining =)

I have a super-story half set out, so I could write near-endless novels based in the world I've created. My inspiration for that is certainly Tolkien as I love the way he created a world with its own history and such incredible depth. He knew what had happened in Middle Earth for thousands and thousands of years, and some things impacted events thousands of years later. For the story I'm writing I have very little idea where it will go! I'm making that up as I go along (though having some idea of what Endari is like in the future dictates some plot developments!). My main aim of all the short stories was to develop a history to make the world as deep and rich as possible. Hopefully that is coming through in some of my writing!

Bottom line though is that I just love writing! Even if I never published it or ever let anyone read it, I'd still write! I do like to think it is interesting, well written, and (once edited) worth buying! Those that have read what I've written so far can answer those questions with less bias than I! Most of my short stories revolved around a major event like a battle. The current novel became long because I started to develop the characters and then I just couldn't keep it short! I still don't know whether it will be a short novel or a long one! As I have a super-story in which this whole novel would be little more than a chapter, I guess I could just carry on until I choose to stop! :P

I always write on paper when I need original ideas. My fathers day present from my wife was 10 good quality writing books in which to write notes! So far I've stayed a couple of chapters ahead with my notes, and when I start to run out of ideas I type the notes up and then edit them. Normally, by the time I've edited all the chapters, the direction of the plot has developed on its own. It's definitely the editing that takes the time. I can write notes anywhere, whether its a line or two or a whole chapter, but I need an hour or so of quiet to edit properly. The editing ties all the plot lines together, makes sure its realistic, and adds things to make it more interesting and fleshed out.

I'm hoping to get at least ten chapters I think. It could end up being a lot more, but ten is the least I'd be happy with! Maybe when I've hit ten I'll go back and re-edit them all. Some do need a bit of work and I'll probably change quite a lot. I hope it doesn't take too long to get it ready to publish!! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could I read it too? I'll give you some honest feedback when I'm done.

I''m also writing my own sci/fi book and I'd love to get some insight into the process other writers go through when writing a book smile.png

Sent you a link! The more honest the feedback, and the more detailed, the better!

Thanks for the interest!

• 2 weeks later...

do you think I should make the link available for all on this thread?

Will not this cause issues if/when you will publish your book later? I mean publishers can don't like that it is/was available on a public forum.

Don't know if there's much more interest, but it gets a fair few views so maybe I should...?

I, for example, did not ask for the link, because I read in English very slowly (using dictionary time to time) and I doubt that I will be able to provide some useful feedback. But if it will be available here I will try to read some few pages :) Maybe there is more people like me visiting this thread.

Will not this cause issues if/when you will publish your book later? I mean publishers can don't like that it is/was available on a public forum.

I was thinking of self-publishing on Amazon for the Kindle, so that won't be a problem for that. I don't know whether it would ever get published by a proper publisher, but the very popular (somehow) series 50 Shades of Grey was available as fan fiction to the Twilight series, and then the author changed the names and places so as to publish it as their own work (ethically a bit iffy if you ask me!), so having it available on a public forum isn't necessarily a barrier. Of course it was removed from those places one it was published so no doubt I'd have to do the same should it get that far!

I, for example, did not ask for the link, because I read in English very slowly (using dictionary time to time) and I doubt that I will be able to provide some useful feedback. But if it will be available here I will try to read some few pages smile.png Maybe there is more people like me visiting this thread.

Perhaps a link to the first chapter being available would help people decide if they wanted to request the full link?

Although I am looking for feedback the story has reached a point where I wouldn't mind people reading it just because it is (I hope!) enjoyable! This is currently the only place it is made available for people so it hasn't reached a massive audience yet!

I have only had half a dozen requests for the link, yet 2000 thread views, that is a little strange to me!

Perhaps a link to the first chapter being available would help people decide if they wanted to request the full link?

Sounds good for me. You can edit the first post in the topic, so it will be more easily available.

I have only had half a dozen requests for the link, yet 2000 thread views, that is a little strange to me!

Number of views includes views by the same people and this topic have 73 replies + original post (total 74 messages), so it can be just 2000 / 74 = 27 people reading all new messages on the forum.