Hello and a request!

Chapter Three is complete!

Thanks also for the feedback! Chapter One has been edited slightly as well :)

In case you were wondering, if you have the link to the first Chapter, it should automatically link to the newer versions if you re-download it.

Edited by J-Dx

I'm looking for some opinions so please let me know what you think!

I'm reaching a point in the story where I intend to 'go back in time' after the climax to explain how the story (in Chapter 1) came about. It will be eventually converge with the story as its told in the first chapters, but focusing on a different character until carrying on the story where it was left off.

In general (as I don't want to give the plot away!) does this sound like a good idea? Do you mind the jump in the narrative in novels/stories? Let me know if you've read anything where this happened and it didn't work! (or did work!)

Just as a general comment: In my experience the important thing (unless you deliberately want to confuse the reader) is to make it clear that it's at an earlier point in time and another character (especially if it's a relatively close POV). Point in time isn't all that important to clear up immediately imho, as long as it doesn't e.g. feature a character that has died before or some other inconsistency (though that in and of itself is of course a way to tell that it's earlier in time, though I personally prefer a clearer notice :) ). That it's from another characters POV though, that should be obvious from the start for me to feel comfortable :) (Again, your intention might not be to make the reader comfortable, so it depends a bit on what you do with it as well ;) )

That said, if you're just going to be telling the story from that other POV for these chapters you'd better have a good reason, otherwise at least I would be disappointed as a reader if you didn't come back to that POV later.

Just as a general comment: In my experience the important thing (unless you deliberately want to confuse the reader) is to make it clear that it's at an earlier point in time and another character (especially if it's a relatively close POV). Point in time isn't all that important to clear up immediately imho, as long as it doesn't e.g. feature a character that has died before or some other inconsistency (though that in and of itself is of course a way to tell that it's earlier in time, though I personally prefer a clearer notice :) ). That it's from another characters POV though, that should be obvious from the start for me to feel comfortable :) (Again, your intention might not be to make the reader comfortable, so it depends a bit on what you do with it as well ;) )

That said, if you're just going to be telling the story from that other POV for these chapters you'd better have a good reason, otherwise at least I would be disappointed as a reader if you didn't come back to that POV later.

Thanks for the input!

My current debate with myself is whether to simply carry on the narrative without jumping back and then write what happened earlier as a separate story, as there will be more than enough material to make a short book if I put in the details. The main reason for jumping back is to answer some of the questions that are raised in the current point of time. These are perhaps not essential to explain, but would make a decent story! I think I'm currently swaying towards not including the past point in time, though it would be disappointing not to! I can always make it a prequel.

If I do include the earlier point in time then it would of course be made very explicit so as to not confuse!

Perhaps I will write the end of the story without jumping back in time and seeing whether I feel it is enough. I can always add more later!

As you requested. Its not that great and I couldn't decipher some of your handwriting. I just traced over it.

post-12985-0-11323800-1339793465_thumb.p

In hindsight, I should have added a legend. But its just a rough copy.

I'll add a few details where I can, but mostly it looks roughly right! I'm still making it up as I go along, so many places don't exist that will later! Some places don't have names yet either. I'd love to have the map done properly, as you'd find at the front of the Lord of the Rings, or Game of Thrones, like my hand drawn one but better! The one you've done is easier to see on the computer though for sure!

I would be interested, but I'm new here so I guess I'm not allowed yet :-(

I'll send you the link soon! In return I'm asking for your feedback and honest opinion :)

Don't worry, the goal is to get the map to be like something from Cartographers Guild.

Excellent! That is what I was hoping to get to eventually (though I doubt I'd be able to do it!). How do you add images to these posts? I've edited a little the map you posted, adding a few names and correcting a few little things. I'll have to spend a good few days/nights going over my notes and short stories and adding the names that I've come up with, and then thinking up a few more! There's a much wider area that can be included either separately as a second, larger map, or as one big one.

Still, a smaller one of just Endari/Helmnaf (as the map is now) would be useful for the purposes of the current story.

How do you add images to these posts?

When writing a post, near the bottom right is "more reply options". Click on that and on the detailed post page, there is an "attach files" button. Just attach the files and then once they are uploaded, click add to post (if you want to give a preview).

Well, I can't see an attach files button.... hmmm....

I miss it to. AFAIK it's just allowed to attach files in some areas of the forum. But you can always use a link if you have any other webspace to put the file.

Edited by FeXoR

Chapter Four is completed! In its first edited draft version anyway! I'll update the link for those that have it! This was a tough chapter as it contains the most important plot development so far, and it could probably do with a lot of work. I'm relatively pleased with it, however, and would be interested in hearing some feedback about it, especially regarding the ending of the chapter. Hopefully the time-frame for the events is reasonable, as well as the distances involved in keeping with the map. I've pencilled in some new details (castles/estates) on the map and will add them soon.

As difficult as it proved to write, I'm kind of sad that its finished, as those who read it might be able to tell why.

The notes draft of Chapter Five is already complete, so hopefully it will be an adequate continuation of the story following the events in chapter four.

I've also edited out a few spelling/grammatical mistakes I noticed in previous chapters, but I've not read through it all so there are likely several I've missed!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have two and a half chapters' worth of notes to type up! We are also planning on moving in August so will have a busy month of so! I'm doing some typing whilst I have the time now, and hopefully I won't keep you waiting too long!