Using AI speech-synthesis/text-to-speech like elevenlabs.io for 0 A.D

azayrahmad

I think by now the speech synthesis technology has been improved significantly. I'm not sure about the open source alternatives, but sites like https://elevenlabs.io/ provides free speech synthesis for limited number of words. This could be very useful in voicing narrations, especially tutorials. I have attached an example of an excerpt I generated using the website sourced from 0 A.D tutorial text using one of the pre-generated voice from the site voice library:

Select the Civic Center again and advance to Town Phase by clicking on the pause icon. You have to wait for the barracks to be built first. This will allow Town Phase buildings to be constructed.

Anyone familiar with the original Rome Total War perhaps familiar with the voice, and I also suspect that perhaps this particular voice was trained using audio files from said game. So perhaps there's legal issue with this voice. But it means that we can also train our own unique voices based on audio files already in the game.

So, what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Obelix said:

I'm thinking about how much bigger the installation file would be if we were to add all these audio files-or a tts model. Does anyone have a clue?

A tts model is typically less than 100MB but likely is limited to a single language, so one might not be enough. The output could be generated and bundled while creating the mod if performance requires it. Size generated content depends on total text spoken obviously and the quality/bitrate of the encoding, might come at another 100Mb per hour. Splitting into addon-mods is possible.

However, this would be a larger project (not just tts but the whole integration of speech) and I don't think it would be coming anytime soon, tho for immersion this would be a nice to have.

Waiting for video support :)

• Thanks 1