Map editor, the stupid questions...

krt0143

Bear with me, I'm new, and the manual is more like a guided tour... :blush:

1. First and foremost: How do you rotate objects when placing them in the editor? :shocking:

2. What are the "_trainable" versions of fauna animals you find in the editor?
I'm guessing it means those are the animal the corral trains, rather than you can teach them cute tricks, is that true?

3. What's the difference between the vanilla "/structures" and "/units" and their "skirmish/structures" and "/skirmish/units" counterparts?

4. What's the difference between the "support_female_citizen" and "support_female_citizen_house"?

5. There are some units which don't seem to belong anywhere (Thebans' "Sacred band", "Fireraiser" (what's that!?), Thesprotians' (I guess) "Melanochitones", a Noldor ship (?!!!) and a lone longship).
Are those fully functional (I know the Spitfire plane is), i.e. can you use them in the game? Don't think I will (well, maybe the longship), but I'm wondering. (Yes, I could simply try, but I'd rather ask)

6. Same thing about structures: What is the "rotarymill" you find in some civilizations? Dropped project I guess? Does it do anything?
There is also a cute little "merc_camp_egyptian". Does it do anything in-game or is it just eye candy? Would be cool if you could buy mercenaries... :laugh:

More stupid questions coming, as soon as I've stumbled upon them...

All right, grew impatient and tested (civ = Britons).

1. Selecting a unit (cross cursor), right-clicking + dragging seems to do it. Took me a while and an accident to find it. Well hidden! :P

2., 3., 4. :shrug:

5. An infantry merc unit (Thracian black coat) was fully controllable in the game. The viking longship on the other hand, despite having been placed as "Player 1" in the editor, automatically reverted to Gaia in the game and I had to put it down. Too bad.

6. Rotarymill does nothing, but can be used as a food dropsite (like the farmstead). The merc_camp_egyptian appears in-game like a standard barracks (complete with "rigorous training" perk), but with the merc camp visual. Cute, but I don't see the use.
The practice range I had forgot to mention unsurprisingly allows training of ranged infantry (slings and javelins in my case), but it has no "rigorous training" perk, so it's kind of pointless.

Rotary Mill, hmm...

If I remember correctly, at least in Alpha 23, the Rotary Mill was a unique structure for either the Gauls or the Britons that increased farm production in a certain radius. I think it has been dropped for some reason.

"Elves Mr. Frodo! Elves!"

The Noldor Ship may be left over from when The Last Alliance was contributing to the game, but I don't know. Maybe it's just and Easter egg ;).

2 hours ago, Joe-Lay said:

Rotary Mill, hmm...

If I remember correctly, at least in Alpha 23, the Rotary Mill was a unique structure for either the Gauls or the Britons that increased farm production in a certain radius. I think it has been dropped for some reason.

It was dropped in lieu of their new special tech.

23 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

Which is?  :huh:

Gauls have the Harvesting Machine. You can see it in the structure tree, or from there in the civilization overview.

I'd expect the rotating options to be the same as in-game, you can look up those in the hotkeys.

The merc camp is for example used on "Wild Lake" and is the base for a Gaia army; nasty if you stumble upon it unprepared. If you capture it it can be used as barracks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Joe-Lay said:

Due to historical and archaeological evidence, the rotary mill has been removed for the Gauls and Britons.

I understand. Now I'm all for historical precision (and thus would be tempted to question some choices), but on the other hand a rich technology tree (with several choices to make) enhances gameplay, and this is first and foremost a game, isn't it...

I've chosen to make my debut in 0 A.D. (and 0 A.D. modding) with the Britons, who have pretty little choice in units and structures compared to some other civilizations. In my case this keeps things simple and helps keeping track of things. And while I admit this is pretty much reality of that civilization at that time (especially compared to some others...), on the other hand from a purely gameplay perspective the Britons aren't very "sexy" to play with: Not many strategical or tactical options besides "me see, me hit". :down:

Having some unique techs or units would be nice. And not just the fairly common champion swordsmen, lots of other civilizations have those. I mean something other civilization could be jealous of...  :laugh:

TL;DR: Historical reality should allow for small (not too blatant!) compromises, generalizations, and even inventions, if this makes some of the more "unsophisticated" civilizations more interesting to play. (IMHO, YMMV and all that.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Check out how Delenda Est deals with the Briton chariots:

So, if I understood it right, they become "motorized javelineers"?  :laugh:

Can the javelineer mount and unmount his chariot at will, or does he only revert to a standard foot javelineer if the chariot is destroyed?

Also, who is that hero I haven't seen?

On 08/09/2023 at 6:45 PM, krt0143 said:

3. What's the difference between the vanilla "/structures" and "/units" and their "skirmish/structures" and "/skirmish/units" counterparts?

4. What's the difference between the "support_female_citizen" and "support_female_citizen_house"?

Hey guys, it can't be that nobody around here knows the answer to those questions... :(

I would really appreciate it if somebody took a minute of his time to tell me.

On 08/09/2023 at 12:45 PM, krt0143 said:

Those are what are converted to player objects when the skirmish map launches.

On 08/09/2023 at 12:45 PM, krt0143 said:

This one is wild. _house is trained from the house.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Those are what are converted to player objects when the skirmish map launches.

So, for a skirmish map I need to use those. Got it.
Thank you!

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This one is wild. _house is trained from the house.

A wild female? :blink:

And why would the house-trained (no pun intended!) female be any different??? I'm confused.

Edited by krt0143
schpelling

3 minutes ago, krt0143 said:

A wild female? :blink:

And why would the house-trained (no pun intended!) female be any different??? I'm confused.

Because the house-trained female-citizen has different stats, specifically it has a 30 second train time instead if 10 from the CC. The easiest way to do that was to just have a 2nd fem citizen template

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone