Resume playing from a replay?

causative

I want to play a replay for a few minutes and then switch over so it's no longer a replay and I control the units.

My question is, has anyone worked out a method for doing this?

I'm trying to work out a method myself. Perhaps it could be done by playing the replay, then doing "save game" partway through, and then parsing simulation.dat for the saved game and changing whatever variables mark it as a replay.

If you load from the game, does it create a new replay file of the old part of the game + the new part of the game -- and can you then load from THAT replay? Meaning, can players engage in a "replay war" where the losing player gets to load from any point 100 seconds later then the last load, until the game progresses to a point where one player can never get out of a losing situation?

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 12:56 AM, causative said:

want to play a replay for a few minutes and then switch over so it's no longer a replay and I control the units.

My question is, has anyone worked out a method for doing this?

My idea: find the exact turn where you want to take over, then go inside the replay file and delete all turns after it. Then, you edit this new replay file into a saved game and trick the engine into believing that it's a saved game.

I am trying to test my idea.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 1:56 AM, causative said:

I'm trying to work out a method myself. Perhaps it could be done by playing the replay, then doing "save game" partway through, and then parsing simulation.dat for the saved game and changing whatever variables mark it as a replay.

One can indeed just save the match (during a replay) and load that to continue playing. I don't think there is a replay variable?

Edited by Freagarach
Elaborate.

7 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

One can indeed just save the match (during a replay) and load that to continue playing. I don't think there is a replay variable?

I tested this idea on a replay between Knight and Barcodes. The problem is, if you choose to impersonate Knight, then Barcodes will be unassigned and he will not continue playing with you. He will instead stand idle. So you cannot do it to multiplayer games.

This idea will likely work on AI games only.