"Failed to connect to server" error - SOLVED

Vantha

Hi

I always got the "Failed to connect to server ..." error when trying to join any game in the multiplayer lobby. I know how frustrating it is and I've seen quite a few players having the same problem. There are a few forum posts etc. about this error but none of the suggested solutions worked for me. 

I managed to solve the issue  and for me the problem was something I've never seen mentioned anywhere else. I'm making this post to help other players who might have the same issue as me.

At first check if your firewall or antivirus is blocking 0ad, try port forwarding 20595 and so on ( like mentioned in other posts). But as I said, for me that didn't help.

For me the problem was that my ISP was using CGNAT. CGNAT basically means that your router does not have an individual public IP address. It shares a public IP with other devices on the internet.

This is how to check if your ISP uses cgnat:

https://www.purevpn.com/blog/how-to-check-whether-or-not-your-isp-performs-cgnat/

If your ISP uses cgnat than thats probably what's causing the issue. Just call your the customer support of your ISP and ask them to give your router a public IP address that's not behind cgnat. In my case that solved the problem and it took like 5 minutes.

(Also don't explain the problem to them it will just overcomplicate everything).

To check if your ISP has given you a public IP that's not behind cgnat just follow the steps in the link above to check.

If the issue remains with a public IP address not behind cgnat, call them again and explain your problem in details this time.

If the customer support tells you they can't give you a public IP that's not behind cgnat or you need to pay extra just call a few times. sometimes it depends on who picks up wether they want to do this for you. If they really can't and you've tried everything else and the issue remains then the only option I see is to change ISP.

I don't how common cgnat is the reason causing this error...but maybe cgnat should be mentioned somewhere in the error message to make it more clear.

Also, please note that I'm not a networking pro so feel free to correct me. 

Edited by Vantha
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been telling people about Carrier-Grade NAT for a while. It seems to disrupt STUN negotiation. It's unfortunate that the users who are least likely to be knowledgeable about networking and troubleshooting are also the most likely to be using Internet connections that have CGNAT. It's increasingly common now, due to IPv4 address exhaustion. It's also another step toward creating consumers out of us instead of content creators and empowered Internet peers.

How to diagnose whether you have CG-NAT? Login to the administration interface of your modem and check the WAN or Internet IP address. If it's a private IP address (192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 0.0.0.0) then you likely have Carrier-Grade NAT. Also check your public address with whatismyip.com or similar websites. If the modem's admin interface indicated IP does not match the IP listed by whatismyip.com then you likely have Carrier-Grade NAT.

If you have Carrier-Grade NAT and you want to request "public IP address service" then this document could help you with explaining to your ISP what you want. There's usually an additional monthly fee for the service.

I'll add a mention of this to the FAQ.

Edited by Norse_Harold

Yeah, Cgnat seems to block peer to peer connections.

12 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

There's usually an additional monthly fee for the service.

It depends on your ISP. At my ISP some people at the customer support would tell you that you need to pay extra and some would just do it for you. 

On 27/03/2023 at 11:14 PM, Norse_Harold said:

It's unfortunate that the users who are least likely to be knowledgeable about networking and troubleshooting are also the most likely to be using Internet connections that have CGNAT.

Thats why I suggest to include in the error message that cgnat could be what's causing the issue

Edited by Vantha

I don't think that the issue is UDP being blocked by the ISP. It's more complex than that.

It's already known that STUN doesn't work in all cases. It depends on the network configuration of each peer.

There's software that can be used to test STUN. The Linux package is named something like stun-client. A Windows version is available here. Here's the manpage for it. Alternatively, if your web browser supports WebRTC, there's a website-based STUN test available here.

Here's the output that I get when I run tests 0, 1 and 2. I don't have CGNAT. Notice that the return value of test 0 is 0x000010, and the return value of tests 1 and 2 is 0x000000.

STUN client version 0.97
running test number 0
Bad length string 15
problem parsing ServerName
Bad length string 15
Bad length string 15
Bad length string 15
Primary: Open	
Return value is 0x000010
STUN client version 0.97
running test number 1
Bad length string 15

Return value is 0x000000
STUN client version 0.97
running test number 2
Bad length string 15

Return value is 0x000000

Can someone with CGNAT please post the output of this command?

stun -v lobby.wildfiregames.com 0 ; stun -v lobby.wildfiregames.com 1 ; stun -v lobby.wildfiregames.com 2
Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I found an article that explains why STUN doesn't work when Carrier-Grade NAT is involved.

STUN assumes that the network address translation (NAT) mapping and firewalling preserves the NAT mapping and firewall opening, for return traffic to the source UDP port, regardless of the destination address. CGNAT has endpoint-dependent NAT and firewalling, so STUN doesn't work with it.

Solutions for people who have CGNAT.

1. Sign up for public IPv4 address service

or,

2. Use a VPN that has endpoint-independent NAT and firewalling.

or,

3. Use a VPN that has endpoint-dependent NAT and firewalling, but that supports port forwarding. Enable a port forward to your public address. Host the game on the port that you have forwarded.

or,

4. Same as solution 3, but instead of hosting, apply a patch to the game to control the source port for the outgoing connection. Ensure that 0ad uses the port number that you have forwarded as its source port for the outgoing connection. Connect to the friend's game as a client.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/03/2023 at 3:36 AM, Norse_Harold said:

Can someone with CGNAT please post the output of this command?

@Norse_Harold I dont know if you still need it, but here it is anyway:

Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 0

About to send msg of len 28 to 136.243.44.163:3478
Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 4

Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 2

Received stun message: 76 bytes
Bad length string 15
Received message of type 273  id=1
Bad length string 15
Received message of type 273  id=2
Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 2

Bad length string 15
Received message of type 273  id=3
Bad length string 15
Received message of type 273  id=3
test I = 1
test II = 1
test III = 1
test I(2) = 0
is nat  = 0
mapped IP same = 1
hairpin = 0
preserver port = 0
Primary: Open    
Return value is 0x000010
STUN client version 0.97
running test number 1
Opened port 20502 with fd 3
Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 0

Got a response
Bad length string 15

Return value is 0x000000
STUN client version 0.97
running test number 2
Opened port 25099 with fd 3
Encoding stun message:
Encoding ChangeRequest: 4

Got a response
Bad length string 15

Return value is 0x000000

The return values are the same as in your test, but i can confirm the test was run on a device connected to a router behind CGNAT.