Non-random BuildingAI

Evaluating non-random building ai about 1 month into 26.6  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the current community mod (26.6) building arrows to a26 building arrows?

• yes
    • no
    • I could go either way
  2. 2. The civic center arrows are too strong against rushes when garrisoned

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Sentry towers are too strong against rushes

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Turtling is too strong because of non-random buildingAI

• yes
    • no
  5. 5. Which of the following solutions would you support the most?

• Don't change anything.
    • Reverse the non-random arrows entirely.
    • Balance the CC, Tower, and Fortress arrows.
    • Make buildings shoot at random unless targeted.
    • Make the civic center and fortress shoot at random unless targeted.

12 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:
18 hours ago, Vantha said:

I like the image, it shows the matter really well in my opinion.

What will the tooltip say?

Probably something like:

"Building arrows can be controlled independently of the rally point. Right-clicking on an enemy sets both the rally point and building arrows to that enemy (Right). Use [ctrl] to only set the rally point on an enemy (middle), and use [force-attack] to only target the building arrows on an enemy (left)."

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
improve description
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

(Right)

I was in this discussion and when I saw the pic I went "huh?". I think the text should be even more detailed than what you wrote, e.g. not only including "right" but also left center and left. I don't find it ideal that the rally point is not visible on the ele.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

image.png.7c438e5ca674ddce938c46f20825728a.png

Yes, exactly like that. Looks so much better.

29 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

I was in this discussion and when I saw the pic I went "huh?". I think the text should be even more detailed than what you wrote, e.g. not only including "right" but also left center and left. I don't find it ideal that the rally point is not visible on the ele.

Well, we have a character limit on the tips, so the text can't really get much longer. I think about what @real_tabasco_sauce wrote plus references to the picture for each of the three actions paired with the image should get the job done. It's not an easy topic to explain. Maybe the text could also explicitly mention the fact that it is even possible to focus building arrows (since it hasn't been in all previous versions and players aren't used to it).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vantha said:

Well, we have a character limit on the tips, so the text can't really get much longer. I think about what @real_tabasco_sauce wrote plus references to the picture for each of the three actions paired with the image should get the job done. It's not an easy topic to explain. Maybe the text could also explicitly mention the fact that it is even possible to focus building arrows (since it hasn't been in all previous versions and players aren't used to it).

Ok, i've made those changes to the text I described above, but I think we can worry about this if/when this goes to merge request for 0ad. At that time, we will also need to decide a new hotkey for force-attack (I vote "f" since capture is "c").

In the meantime, I'll try and add it back to the community mod. If people want to test it with me, I can make some changes before it goes to the com mod.

I've added a testing version to the home page, and I'll add it below. If you have it downloaded and see me in the game lobby, i'd be happy to test it some. (its the same as the one on page 7).

community-testing.zip

Not sure if "force-attack" is a fitting term. How about something like "concentrate-fire" instead?

By the way, I think there's some room for improvement regarding the target cursor texture. I might try myself to enhance it if I find some time.

1 hour ago, Vantha said:

Not sure if "force-attack" is a fitting term. How about something like "concentrate-fire" instead?

By the way, I think there's some room for improvement regarding the target cursor texture. I might try myself to enhance it if I find some time.

Well, what I intend to go there is the force-attack hotkey, but it is currently ctrl by default.

11 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Well, what I intend to go there is the force-attack hotkey, but it is currently ctrl by default.

Yes, but its default key should be related in some way to the hotkey's name, right? So players can remember it more easily. That's why I suggested to decide on a better name first, before thinking about what key to map it to by default. (Though, "f" would also make sense for "concentrate-fire")

Sort of @Vantha . The thing is both functions are making use of existing hotkeys. I think the text should say force-attack and “auto rally” so users know what hotkey they might want to change. In that case I could actually add this tooltip to the mod too.

i think force-attack is pretty intuitive and that auto rally could be renamed at some point if we want it to be more intuitive.

Oh, I didn't know "force attack" was an already existing hotkey.

I haven't looked at the code and I don't want to unnecessary spark debate about something this minor. But if it was up to me, I'd opt for creating a new hotkey with a name that better describes the action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vantha said:

Oh, I didn't know "force attack" was an already existing hotkey.

I haven't looked at the code and I don't want to unnecessary spark debate about something this minor. But if it was up to me, I'd opt for creating a new hotkey with a name that better describes the action.

Ok, well maybe I can make a new hotkey but i don't think I can make it bound by default in a mod. So I prefer leaving it as is for the mod, but I'd support making a new hotkey so people don't have to use their force-attack key if they don't want to.

• Like 1

Ok, so because the hotkeys were interfering (both set to ctrl), I heeded @Vantha's advice and just made a new hotkey called "Focus Fire". This is what you use to make the red crosshair appear and only control the building's arrows.

It is unbound by default, and for now I let users know this in the loading screen tip.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2024 at 8:19 PM, Gurken Khan said:

Do newbs understand that terminology?

No, but relatively few newbs are playing the community mod. Also for the newbs that do, its not absolutely required since you could do just fine with regular right click and autorally (ctrl).

If/when this goes to 0ad, it will be bound to something and I'll make it clear in the loading screen tooltip.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1