certain replays not working

zxphxr

hello 0AD community,

not sure if this is a bug or error on my part, but ive been sent several replays from the players WeirdJokes & Yekaterina to do commentary on for YouTube and none of them have been showing up in the list of replays

ive regularly download replays off the forums & received them from other players and they all work fine when i put them in the replays folder. they both use the community mod which i have the latest version of installed so i dont think thats the problem, but something is causing these replays in particular to not appear

heres a vid of me downloading and attempting to run one of Kate's replays

if anybody knows a potential cause of the problem / solution i would be immensely grateful, thank you!!!

1564666148_ScreenShot2023-02-20at9_23_48PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 9.18.41 PM.png

@zxphxr I think the issue may be that the mod is not installed correctly. The mod appears to be housed in the "user" folder where it should be in a folder called "community-mod" within "mods". I am pretty sure one of the checks for mod compatibility is that the folder names are the same.

to access the mods folder: Go-> Go to folder -> Library/Application Support/0ad/mods

Here is where you should see a folder called community-mod alongside other mods like BoonGUI.

Did you get the community mod from mod.io? You could redownload the community mod from the mod downloader, perhaps after deleting any community mod related files from the folder "user". 

If you see "community-mod" within user, then all you have to do is move it out of user and back one directory into "mods".

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 2

@real_tabasco_sauce   AHHHHH thank you SO MUCH!!!! for some reason there was no folder labeled community-mod in my mods folder, it was labeled 'user' instead (i literally have NO idea why) but i changed the name of the folder from 'user' to 'community-mod' thinking 'theres no freakin way something as simple as changing the name of the folder is going to work' BUT IT WORKED and now i have access to ALL of the replays my 0AD peers have sent me w community mod. thank you so, so much, you are truly a lifesaver!

the name of my 0ad youtube channel is zephyr amethyst, in case u want to watch the videos that you helped make possible <3 you are a CHAMP

Edited by zxphxr
  • Like 1

@real_tabasco_sauce so theres another issue unfortunately, hopefully u can help out again. wen i watch any of the replays, at the beginning of the game i get a msg that says 'Out-of-sync error on turn 1. Out-of-sync.' & then the game seems to play normally, but as it progress certain elements are off that become more obvious as the replays go on. for instance, only a handful of the women are working the fields (like 3 or 4) while the vast majority of them stand idle. other units will stand on top of certain building foundations instead of building them for the entire game. & as a whole, the population increase kind of tapers off and by like 20-25 mins into the game pretty much all the players have only reached around 100 pop , until at a certain point the game just ends unceremoniously. i got thru an entire 1v1 that @Yekaterina sent me that was 24 mins long, slowly realizing that something was off, & then checked the other replays which are mostly 4v4s, & the same odd things were going on in all of them. im assuming that error is the reason why. wondering if there's a fix u kno of for this problem as well? tysm!

thanks to @real_tabasco_sauce i was able to figure out why my community mod wasn't working properly, but im running into another error in the process of trying to record community mod replay vids sent to me by various players for my youtube channel ( 0AD Youtube Vids )

wen i watch any of the replays, at the beginning of the game i get a msg that says 'Out-of-sync error on turn 1. Out-of-sync.' & then the game seems to play normally, but as it progresses certain elements are off that become more obvious as the replays go on. for instance, only a handful of the women are working the fields (like 3 or 4) while the vast majority of them stand idle. other units will stand on top of certain building foundations instead of building them for the entire game. & as a whole, the population increase kind of tapers off and by like 20-25 mins into the game pretty much all the players have only reached around 100 pop , until at a certain point the game just ends unceremoniously. i got thru an entire 1v1 that @Yekaterina sent me that was 24 mins long, slowly realizing that something was off, & then checked the other replays which are mostly 4v4s, & the same odd things were going on in all of them, preceded by the aforementioned error msg. wondering if anybody knows what the source of this error is & can help me fix it so i can finally record these vids. thanks in advance <3 <3 <3

54 minutes ago, Silier said:

Check if all mods are on the same version and in the same order.

@Silierpretty sure the versions are all up to date for both myself & the players who sent the games, i will confirm w the senders that the order im running them in matches up w the order they were recorded in

i don't think that's the issue tho bc when i check the box that allows the incompatible replays to also be displayed, all the games that i played w/o community mod show up in grey & upon clicking them they don't play at all, but instead a notification lets me know the correct mods/order that would be necessary for them to work

so i assume if the order was an issue i wouldn't be able to play them at all & they would be displayed in a similar capacity

i appreciate the suggestion tho, it's def worth investigating & i certainly will. thanks again! <3

OOS on turn one means something is different between your install or their install. Could be a different version of the mod, could be that you have extra files in your mod directories like in the user mod or in the mod folders themselves (e.g. if you extracted mods instead of installing them through mod.io)

Yeah, just changing the name would allow for that mod to be played, but other discrepancies will cause Out of sync errors, which is when your version of the game differs from others'. These discrepancies can be minor, like different values for crush by elephants, but in your case it is probably a big difference, like different locations for files and/or folders.

I would suggest just deleting the mod and reinstalling it with the in-game mod downloader.