Civ: Syracusans

wowgetoffyourcellphone

The Syracusans

rZdQO01.png

image.thumb.png.50918c88c7030b770976fd676348026f.png

The Syracusans are a Greek faction known for their innovation, cultural contributions, and energetic history. They tussled with the Carthaginians, Athenians, and Romans for control of Sicily. For a time, Syracuse was one of the largest, most powerful Greek states in the Mediterranean basin. The famous mathematician Archimedes was a son of Syracuse and helped his city with many inventions and mathematical innovations.

In the game, they are a "Greek City-States" faction (Hoplite-focused army, a buildable Stoa, etc.), but with a "Successor States" access to the Library ("Archimedean Academy"), Siege Weapons, and Quinquereme warship.

oRZ4KqZ.png

image.png

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The Syracusans are a Greek faction known for their innovation, cultural contributions, and energetic history. They tussled with the Carthaginians, Athenians, and Romans for control of Sicily. For a time, Syracuse was one of the largest, most powerful Greek states in the Mediterranean basin. The famous mathematician Archimedes was a son of Syracuse and helped his city with many inventions and mathematical innovations.

In the game, they are a "Greek City-States" faction (Hoplite-focused army, a buildable Stoa, etc.), but with a "Successor States" access to the Library ("Archimedean Academy"), Siege Weapons, and Quinquereme warship. Also, instead of suite of possible Heroes at the start of the match, the player is given the choice of which political system to follow, Aristocracy, Democracy, or Tyranny, with each choice unlocking its own champions, heroes, and technologies. 

• Like 2

Spitballing here, I was thinking the choice of political systems could go like this:

Democracy

+ Bonus in Citizen health and train time

+ Hoplites trained at the Advanced rank from the beginning 

+ Champion is a Hoplite-class infantryman

+ Hero is the Demagogue unit, whose aura grants more capture points (i.e., Loyalty) to capturable units and buildings

- Penalty in Technology cost

Oligarchy

+ Bonus in Cavalry health and speed

+ Bonus in Farming income

+ "Champion" is an Elite Cavalryman

+ Hero is the Aristocrat unit, whose aura grants stronger resource gathering to nearby gatherers

- Penalty in Infantry speed

Tyranny

+ Additional Mercenaries unlocked at the barracks/range/stable

+ Additional Technology for Coin income, "Open Markets"

+ Champion is a Heavy Swordsman "Tyrant's Guardsman", who costs only Coin (most champions usually cost Food and Coin)

+ Hero is the Tyrant unit, whose aura grants stronger attack and capturing to nearby champions and mercenaries

- Penalty in Citizen health and Slave loyalty

Any thoughts? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 2:41 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Spitballing here, I was thinking the choice of political systems could go like this:

Democracy

+ Bonus in Citizen health and train time

+ Hoplites trained at the Advanced rank from the beginning 

+ Champion is a Hoplite-class infantryman

+ Hero is the Demagogue unit, whose aura grants more capture points (i.e., Loyalty) to capturable units and buildings

- Penalty in Technology cost

Oligarchy

+ Bonus in Cavalry health and speed

+ Bonus in Farming income

+ "Champion" is an Elite Cavalryman

+ Hero is the Aristocrat unit, whose aura grants stronger resource gathering to nearby gatherers

- Penalty in Infantry speed

Tyranny

+ Additional Mercenaries unlocked at the barracks/range/stable

+ Additional Technology for Coin income, "Open Markets"

+ Champion is a Heavy Swordsman "Tyrant's Guardsman", who costs only Coin (most champions usually cost Food and Coin)

+ Hero is the Tyrant unit, whose aura grants stronger attack and capturing to nearby champions and mercenaries

- Penalty in Citizen health and Slave loyalty

Any thoughts? 

The Democratic champion could be Syrakousios Epilektos, a citizen Hoplite chosen for excellence.

The Oligarchic champion could be Geomori Hippeus, a member of the landed aristocratic class.

The Tyrannical mercenaries could include, depending on the hero selected, the infamous Mamertinoi hired by Agathocles which ravaged the land, and the Calabrian Sileraioi hired by Dionysius I.

• Like 1

More thoughts:

Syracuse was involved in many wars with major powers and besieged multiple times without success. They could have some unique defensive structures such as the Claw of Archimedes (not sure how to model) and/or the semi-legendary Mirror Tower or Heat Ray Tower (maybe the Ballista Tower model can be used, i saw a couple in the Syracusans screenshot above) with bonus damage against ships and siege units.

Give me a place to stand on and i will move the Earth: Archimedean Academy could have unique upgrades to ship health like Archimedes' Screw or to increase range of siege units like Mechanical Advantage (please find a cooler name :D)

4 hours ago, Outis said:

Syracuse was involved in many wars with major powers and besieged multiple times without success. They could have some unique defensive structures such as the Claw of Archimedes (not sure how to model) and/or the semi-legendary Mirror Tower or Heat Ray Tower (maybe the Ballista Tower model can be used, i saw a couple in the Syracusans screenshot above) with bonus damage against ships and siege units.

I thought about the claw as a buildable structure or building upgrade, but it's difficult to imagine how it would work in the game environment. Ships in the game don't need to come close to the shore to be effective as in real life, so they would rarely come within range of such a "melee" device. It could be a technology (researched at the Academy) to add an attack bonus vs. ships to the Syracusan towers. 

4 hours ago, Outis said:

Archimedes' Screw

A special tech that improves both farming and ship health maybe? Makes it unique in that way. Could make "Water Screw" at the Farmstead a prerequisite. Archimedes Screw was simply a refinement of earlier such farming tools. 

4 hours ago, Outis said:

increase range of siege units like Mechanical Advantage (please find a cooler name :D)

The Ballistics tech could be reworked here. For most other civs, Ballistics unlocks the ranged siege techs at the Siege Arsenal. For the Macedonians their ranged siege techs are unlocked automatically without the need for Ballistics. I've done the same for the Syracusans already, so perhaps "Ballistics" can be used as an additional special tech at the Academy.

On 19/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, Outis said:

The Democratic champion could be Syrakousios Epilektos, a citizen Hoplite chosen for excellence.

The Oligarchic champion could be Geomori Hippeus, a member of the landed aristocratic class.

The Tyrannical mercenaries could include, depending on the hero selected, the infamous Mamertinoi hired by Agathocles which ravaged the land, and the Calabrian Sileraioi hired by Dionysius I.

Since my mod doesn't use ethnic names for units (it uses specificname and genericname differently than base game), I'll just call them:

Syracusan Epilektos

Gamoros Cavalry

Mamertine Bodyguard or Sileraios Bodyguard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...