-
Posts
729 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
38
Everything posted by Vantha
-
By the way, there's no issue on Gitea for this yet as far as I'm aware. Would you mind opening one?
-
I know. I'm currently working on too many other things to implement it myself, but if anyone does (preferably without an LLM) I would be happy to review and merge it. I suppose the main question is where and how big to display each of the names.
-
Sounds like the gui/session/session.xml file is out-of-date. Are sure you have nothing modified and no mods loaded?
-
How you want. I wouldn't mind many PRs if they're small and managable. Feel free to ping me in the PR(s) on Gitea. This is essentially what I meant to say with "their role was unclear", which admittedly was not the best choice of words, though. If I remember correctly, there even is a record where it kinda sounds like they were fighting as cavalry. There has always been debate on whether the SpecificNames ("native" names) always need to be a direct translation of GenericNames (English names). My personal take is that they don't have to, I wouldn't mind (and actually prefer) "Prodromos (Cavalry Javelineer)". The word-by-word translation (like Hippakontistēs here) can be in many cases straightforward, but a bit boring. If there is a more historically interesting and relevant term unique to that civ, I'd use that instead, even if describes a broader group of people/soldiers. Again, a unit can represent more than just the soldiers equipped in the exact same way. One idea floating around is to in addition to the SpecificName and GenericName introduce a "ClassName". Then we could use "Prodromos" as the SpecificName, "Scout" as the GenericName and keep "Cavalry Javelineer" as the ClassName. This would be cool to have for other units too. I'm aware. My point was that the generality isn't a bad thing.
-
Great. Feel free to ping me then in the issue or assign it to me. Or even better, if plan you to do it more often in the future, make a PR yourself; changes like this can be made pretty easily, the unit names are defined in the template files in binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/units/. I could help you figure out the Gitea stuff. Regarding the Ekdromoi, I made this thread a few years ago: Regarding the Prodromoi, they are already present in the game, no? About the term "Psiloi", I don't think it's too general. There's always a balance to strike between making it perfectly accurate, but also interesting gameplay-wise. That's why we often chose the native name describing the people that a unit actually represents rather than what it ended up as in the game. The Athenian slingers for instance are only slingers for gameplay reasons, but they historically represent any skirmishers in general, including the ones that just threw rocks.
-
Are they include errors? If so, you probably just need to add some specific directories to the "includePaths" of your config.
-
Possible Performance Optimization
Vantha replied to Asher's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
It runs fully sequentially, but there is good potential to parallelize parts of it. This is something I'm working on actually. Yes, I think so. Sadly, I personally don't know enough about it to implement it myself, but I know that there have been experiments/attempts by others in the past. -
Possible Performance Optimization
Vantha replied to Asher's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
Pathfinding is not actually as performance expensive as one would think. The individual pathfinding requests each turn can be (and are) nicely computed in parallel by the engine, so on machines with decent hardware concurrency they finish surprisingly fast. The render submission process and rendering itself are a much more perfomance-constraining factor. -
I checked and it's a bug, probably caused by #8890. @Atrik
-
That's an odd error. Are you using R28 or did you build the development version?
-
Where is the branch? Can you send a link? The Wiki is it's own repository, technically, but I don't think PRs can be opened on it. Instead users with contributor status can make changes directly. When I said you'd receive the status by getting the first PR of you merged, I meant the main (code) repository. While we're waiting for someone able to give you the permissions, I can just manually add your changes myself, if you want.
-
@Pappy_reen Showing some love to the Wiki would be great. Back when the Wiki was on Trac (https://trac.wildfiregames.com/) the "help" link pointed to this: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TracGuide, which is obviously no longer necessary, but an equivalent about the Gitea Wiki would be nice. I'm pretty sure you need contributor status in order to be able to edit the Wiki, which you usually receive after any pull request of you is merged. But I think that admins can also manually give the label to your account. @Stan`@Itms
-
Adding storylines to scenarios and campaigns
Vantha replied to Vantha's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
When cutscene mode is enabled, then no, that's kinda the whole point of cutscene mode. When it's not enabled, on other hand, you can, but only to some extent since the HUD (selection panels etc.) is hidden. You can give gather and attack orders, for example, but not train units or research techs. Admittedly, this is a limitation, but it's the best solution I managed come up with, the in-game HUD itself is already pretty cramped in my opinion. Yeah, as shown in the second half of the demo video, this is possible. Currently, the unit's displayed name (e.g. "Champion Infantry Pikeman") is used in combination with its in-game portrait. Would be possible, though, to extend it to allow customising those too. -
Adding storylines to scenarios and campaigns
Vantha replied to Vantha's topic in Game Development & Technical Discussion
It depends on what a cutscene is for you. Dialogue and cinema paths (predefined camera movements such as in the cinema demo map) aren't tied to each other, either one of them can be shown on its own, but also both at the same time. What they have in common is that both show the the two black bars at the top and bottom and there's a way implemented to synchronise the two systems. Then there's what I called "cutscene mode", which disables visual overlays like territory borders, health bars and selection rings -- the mode is always enabled during cinema paths and optionally during dialogue (it can be specified). -
=[TASK]= Temple of Athena Nike
Vantha replied to wowgetoffyourcellphone's topic in Completed Art Tasks
The game's transliteration guidelines are found here: https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/wiki/SpecificNames#greek -
Most of them lived after AD 1, which I'm not a fan of, but fine. The only one who's definitely too late is Ballomar, since he lived in the second century AD, so I wouldn't include him. @manowar If you make those changes to the PR, I'll merge it.
-
How to play Online with a friend without troubles? (FIXED)
Vantha replied to Henry852's topic in Help & Feedback
@Henry852 It's working again now, by the way, so you can now open the link I sent. -
Can't click on any buttons on the welcome screen, can't start the game.
Vantha replied to Jayanne.Sung's topic in Bug reports
Ok, I'll do and see if it still happens. -
How to play Online with a friend without troubles? (FIXED)
Vantha replied to Henry852's topic in Help & Feedback
See https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/wiki/FAQ#what-shall-i-do-when-joining-multiplayer-matches-fails-with-an-error-message -
Yes, the engine totally supports text inputs, but as I said on the game setup screen there is a lot of extra JS logic for each of the setting types (dropdown, checkbox, etc.) but there is no "GameSettingControl_____" class for text inputs here yet: https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/src/branch/main/binaries/data/mods/public/gui/gamesetup/Pages/GameSetupPage/GameSettings, so you'd probably have to add that first.
-
Making it a text input is definitely possible, but not straightforward, unfortunately. In the game settings code there are a lot of layers of abstraction, a lot of wrappers and super classes, to make adding new ones easy. Like the current dropdown. But there are no such classes for text inputs yet, since no game setting actually requires them. I suggest to try to make it a slider instead, this is easier since there are existing game setting controls that are sliders. See https://gitea.wildfiregames.com/0ad/0ad/commit/38eb999ff9d627ab319820a5fc77f332b100e32d
-
Can't click on any buttons on the welcome screen, can't start the game.
Vantha replied to Jayanne.Sung's topic in Bug reports
It happens to me every now and then too, and what I always do is press Alt+Enter twice, which disables and enables full screen again, for me that fixes it and is quicker than restarting the whole game.
