have a couple of noob questions

sup

have a couple of noob questions

what language are you guys currently writing in? c++ ?

what do you use to edit the code? visual basic studio?

how exactly does one find the code to work on it? i mean literally have the code (for pathfinding for example) on my screen, for me to mess around (or at least read) ?

e: it's all explained here:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

Edited by iNcog

c++ for core

js for ui and unit ai

Json for civs

lua for premake

python for lobby

There is a github branch for pathfinding I dont have the link right now

If you are a student you can get a visual studio pro licence

else you can go by visual studio express or code blocks.

To get the code you will need a git client or a svn client like tortoise svn. Depending also on the platforms you are on. Read the getting started for programmers in the wiki.

Edited by stanislas69

Most likely trying to avoid reinventing the wheel as their lots of python libraries for networking/server apps and the fact that python does not need to be complied means that the development cycle is faster.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Could have not said it better, and your Enjoy the choice fits here :)

As development is done on multiple OS, there are also multiple IDEs used.

On Windows, it's best to use Visual Studio to do the C++ development. Apart from that, IDE choices are pretty much free, and even simple text editors work quite good. I normally use gvim with some adapted settings (like using tabs instead of spaces), and it works well enough for me.

About the most used languages. Generally it's C++ and JS. C++ is used for the parts that need to be fast (actual rendering, pathfinding, ...), JS on the other hand offers the possibility to be run without compilation, and thus is ideal to be used for game logic, and to be adapted by mods.

The other languages used are mostly because there was an interesting library available that could be used. Like a chat library in python for the lobby, a compilation library with lua, ... These parts generally don't belong to the core game, and could rather easily be replaced by other tools in other languages.

• Like 2

binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random/rmgen are the custom scripts used to make random maps.

In your case, I guess the pathplacer just draws some stone-looking tiles on default paths between players. So it's indeed a bit of a pathfinder (to find the route between two player bases), but it's a rather simple one (since it only has to calculate a few routes, it can also be very slow).

The actual pathfinder is found under http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/source/simulation2/components it's split over multiple files (to keep them readable). So it's a bit more difficult to explain the structure.