How Did You Come Up With Your Username?

Well, the name Thorfinn the Shallow Minded is comes from two sources, my head and and a book. I have several books about the Viking Age and like reading them. In one of mine, there are several genealogies about Norse jarls, hersir, kings, etc,... and I found it pretty fun reading them because of the interesting titles that were given. One of my favorite names though, was Thorfinn. although few Thorfinns have been able to match with infamous pirates such as Harald Hadraada, I liked the ring of the name so I selected it. The title "Shallow Minded" came from the gracious woman Aud the Deep-Minded, freer of Vifil the grandfather of Gudrid who had a son named Snorri Sturlson who was the author of the Poetic Edda and has given us insight into some of the most fascinating Norse literature. Anyway, I didn't like the title "Deep-Minded because it sounded inaccurate. Instead, I chose "Shallow-Minded", since it seemed to fit my IQ, which I think is relatively low.

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded

I used to be called Jerusalem over the AoKH forums, I picked it out when I was about 14 and I had this really intense (Jewish) religious phase, and Jerusalem is a really important place in Judaism. (I actually don't live there and never did.) Everybody would call me Jeru for short.

For a while I got tired of it and changed it to Akavish (which is Hebrew for "spider"), and everybody hated it so I changed it to Jeru. Elsewhere on the internet I am known as Zenith87 (cool astronomical word derived from Arabic, taken ultimately from the 0 A.D. creed) and Thufir87 (character in Dune who can predict the future and advises leaders as some sort of intelligence officer).

I used to be called Jerusalem over the AoKH forums, I picked it out when I was about 14 and I had this really intense (Jewish) religious phase, and Jerusalem is a really important place in Judaism. (I actually don't live there and never did.) Everybody would call me Jeru for short.

For a while I got tired of it and changed it to Akavish (which is Hebrew for "spider"), and everybody hated it so I changed it to Jeru. Elsewhere on the internet I am known as Zenith87 (cool astronomical word derived from Arabic, taken ultimately from the 0 A.D. creed) and Thufir87 (character in Dune who can predict the future and advises leaders as some sort of intelligence officer).

Interesting story. Most people just come up with something based on their favourite game.

Archangel + Jack(My name)

I really have no idea how I came by my username :P;)

I am in the same boat. I do know this was transfered from a game I used to play but I honestly have no recollection of how I came up with it. I got my name from Guild Wars where I was Legendary Silver because it required two word screen names.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... I was a huge fan of the General, and when I was like 12... Z and X-es and letters like that was COOL... So I stuck with it. Don't really use nicknames anymore though, if I ever register nowadays I just use 0yvind :)

Cause thats kind of my name.

Nice thread though :)

Mine started off as kieran776, and that's still used for my emails.

But I shortend it for two reasons:

1) back then (I was 13 y/o), I didn't want people knowing my real name right away

2) no one could remember how to spell my name :-P

k776 was a lot easier for people to remember.

So I use k776 all the time now, with the exceptions of my email (which I kept longer to prevent spam) and forums/games that require a username longer than 4 characters

• 1 month later...

I use privateer as it kind of fits my work in real life.

I'm self employed in the construction business and will work for the highest bidder.

As this led to takeing business away from others?

I started calling my employees the Privateer Crew.

Thus privateer.

Snorri Sturlson who was the author of the Poetic Edda and has given us insight into some of the most fascinating Norse literature

Great story! I can see that book on my shelf from here and really enjoyed it (although maybe not as much as the Heimskringla).

My nickname's story is a bit more boring I think. Bruno is a name meaning "brown" which I chose randomly back in high school while studying French (we had to pick European sounding nicknames, and Bruno is at least visually similar to my real name: Ben). The "historic" part comes from when I played Age of Empires online through the MSN Gaming Zone (back in 1999 or 2000, I believe). Some here may remember that when signing up you needed a unique username but it would suggest alternatives if your desired name was taken. So I tried Bruno (which was taken) and was recommended "historic_bruno" and I've used that as my nickname ever since :)

I was Jagwire for along time.

(Roughly 1980 was the start)

Then all the stuff for "Jagwire" started comeing out.

So I had to change things up a bit.

Jag are the intials of my name, wire because I was wired to the Baby Net back then.

:banana:

I don't even remember all the 'handles' I used until I stuck with privateer.

I now tend to stay with that and add GWX if needed.

• 1 month later...