Jump to content

Forums

  1. Welcome

    1. Announcements / News

      The latest. What is happening with 0 A.D. Stay tuned...

      5,4k
      posts
    2. Introductions & Off-Topic Discussion

      Want to discuss something that isn't related to 0 A.D. or Wildfire Games? This is the place. Come on in and introduce yourself. Get to know others who are using 0 A.D.

      38,6k
      posts
    3. Help & Feedback

      Here is where you can get help with your questions. Also be sure to tell us how we are doing. What can we improve? What do you wish we could do better? Your opinion matters to us!

      16,9k
      posts
  2. 0 A.D.

    1. General Discussion

      This is the place to post general stuff concerning the game. Want to express your love for hoplites or find people to play the game with? Want to share your stories about matches you have played or discuss historical connections to the game? These and any other topics which are related to the game, but don't have their own forums belong in this forum.

      51,1k
      posts
    2. Gameplay Discussion

      Discuss the game play of 0 A.D. Want to know why the game plays the way it does or offer suggestions for how to improve the game play experience? Then this is the forum.

      28k
      posts
    3. Game Development & Technical Discussion

      A forum for technical discussion about the development of 0 A.D. Feel free to ask questions of the developers and among yourselves.

      48,2k
      posts
    4. Art Development

      Open development for the game's art. Submissions, comments, and suggestions now open.

      30,3k
      posts
    5. Game Modification

      Do you have any questions about modifying the game? What will you need to do what you want to? What are the best techniques? Discuss Modifications, Map Making, AI scripting and Random Map Scripting here.

      45,7k
      posts
    6. Project Governance

      Forums for decision-making on issues where a consensus can't be reached or isn't sufficient. The committees are chosen from among the official team members, but to ensure an open and transparent decision process it's publically viewable.

      148
      posts
    7. 597
      posts
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yes they are. Well for the most part. There is also soft push gradient (not really the hitbox, but like a softer wider hitbox) and also some logic that tries to push if two bodies already overlap.
    • Can't tell in from the picture, but it's also very possible that the elephant here was stuck at this angle due to the ones pushing on it's butt... But this should happen less often, and elephants should be able to unstuck themselves sooner now. You can also enable "UnitMotion" in dev overlay to display the path, this can help figuring if it's actually a pathfinder weirdness or a bug.
    • @guerringuerrin I was about to post when I realized you posted . Nevermind I'll keep mine as I wrote it initially. And make some reply to yours after.   ------------------------ Unless... Screencast from 2026-10-01 13-50-02(2).webm  x20 speed, no orders but 2 step rally point. For nerds, what changed (main changes) : Contact slides, solids slide along each other in the direction they want to go. This fix solids getting stuck on chock-point. Solid are only sensible to soft push if they actually have room to be pushed to. This makes groups of solid expand outward and prevent wiggles because now they only push in one direction. Minimal cost, just coarse grid check. Note : Also this idea is a bit of the same than pressure for non-solids. Excepted pressure wouldn't work for solids because their shape is different, and the pushing is different too, so its barely more costly, but works very well for solids. Improved contact logic so also actually even less overlapping on choke-points.  Ok but now, the question is... Will @guerringuerrin  manage to get some elephants stuck this time? 
    • Yes, it could be what you say, and it might be related to a (bad) pathfinding issue. In this latest video of the stationary elephant, I think you can see a clear path that the elephant could take (orange arrow) instead of trying to join the path line that all the others are using. And since it never manages to get into position, it looks like it just stays still.   I understand what you mean and, to some extent, I agree. So far, my intention with these testruns has been to force situations that may not be common in everyday gameplay but are still possible (such as a group of 24 elephants). I'll now start testing more "expected" situations, mixing elephants with infantry. We could also test MP in the next few days. I haven't tried to coordinate because I've been short on time, but we'll find an opportunity.  Regarding the forces exerted by the elephant's hitbox, are they the same from the front and the sides, and while turning versus moving straight? For example, in this screenshot from the fourth video (at around 0:30), one elephant fails to reach its waypoint and ends up blocking a huge group behind it. You'd expect the combined force of all those elephants to overcome the resistance of one or two elephants blocking the way. I imagine accumulating forces is complex and could lead to less predictable results. That's why I was wondering whether the side edges of the hitbox could have lower force/resistance, allowing an elephant crossing the path of one coming from the front to be pushed aside. Maybe this is very complex to implement; I'm just throwing the idea out there. Maybe it's simply a matter of improving the pathfinding.   Overall, my opinion of this PR is very positive, especially the new infantry and cavalry behavior. I think elephants (or units with the "solid" property) still need some tuning. Since these properties are optional, the PR can be merged as is, but I think fine-tuning them would be valuable to provide good baseline conditions, as we've already seen with infantry/cavalry.  
×
×
  • Create New...