Screenshots We'd Like To See

Post here about what you would like to see a screenshot of. Maybe the team will post it :P

I'll add it to the list, will probably check every day.

List of requested screens:

Zeeky_Bombard:

1. Naval Combat (or at least units on ships)

2. Gathering Resources

3. Persian chariots riding past a Roman army while firing arrows at them

TheCobra1:

1. Late Roman Roman footsoldier

FirePowa8:

1. The New Spartiate

2. Presian Medes and Immortals

3. New and Awesome Water

toph

1. A big battle

2. A town of a civilization besides the Celts

3. Screenshots of the map added in 4002

Belisarivs:

1. Persian Cataphract

2. Carthigian Sacred Cavalry

illyrian:

1. Showcase: Greek Phalanx

2. Formations for all the civs, particularly Roman Legions and Cavalry.

Swordsworn:

1. Ranged units in formation.

Lord Typaer:

1. Landscape scenes, especially a new winter one

Yamato Take:

1. Carthaginians fighting Romans or Iberians

Edited by Zeeky_Bombard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We probably won't show any ships or naval combat until we have our new water implemented. We currently have water implemented, but utilizing simple water animations (much like an animated gif). However, our programmers have shown some amazing progress in implementing AOE3-style water with shaders and other such technical wizardry (reflection, refraction, etc). Once that is implemented fully, I think you can expect to see some Naval action. I will say we have a few ships modelled, textured, and put into the game though and they look great (Wijitmaker originals).

Gathering resources - Yeah, that's on the table within the next few screenshots. I'll see what I can do.

Spartiate - We're still tweaking his texture. Once he is completed, rest assured, you'll get to see him slice and dice through his opponents! teehee

Last, but not least, the "late" Roman - I assume you're talking about an Imperial-age Legionnaire. Like "one of those guys" you see in battle at the beginning of "Gladiator." If so, we don't have that unit in 0 A.D. Part I. Paul can tell you more about them, but the era we are depicting for the Romans in Part I is the Camillan/Punic Wars era Roman army. We are doing so, because of the wider range of units available, plus it puts them on par closely with the Carthaginians of the 500BC-1BC time period, which provides us with greater campaign opportunities. The Roman soldier you're refering to came to us after the Marian reform, when Rome was bracing itself for Imperial rule. Such a soldier will feature prominently in 0 A.D. Part II though!

Hey, this is a great thread! Please, give us more ideas. We are here to please our fanbase. I will tell you from experience that progress comes in cycles. Part of what propels us is the periodic prodding of our fanbase, which feeds on our own momentum and vice versa. Please, continue to tell us what we want and we'll try to give it to you. :P

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

Slice and dice? Sounds like he fights with a sword at short range and uses the spear for a reach. If this is the case, sounds fun! :P

By the way, will it be possible to randomize hoplites with either the xiphos or kopis? You know, maybe one in ten could have a kopis instead, since while they were used in hoplite warfare, they weren't as common as the xiphos.

I would love to see some Persian units too... Medes and Immortals in particular. :P Or if they're not done, anything will work out.

However, our programmers have shown some amazing progress in implementing AOE3-style water with shaders and other such technical wizardry (reflection, refraction, etc).

Hoohooo, you guys wait, its absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't be happier with what I saw from it. Matei was getting around 3 FPS...but, hehehe, I believe that is why its still being worked on.

I really like this thread and the new "website-feeling" :P

screenshots i would like to see?

- a really big battle would be cool, or a town from a other civ like the celtic (if the models and textures are done)

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, will it be possible to randomize hoplites with either the xiphos or kopis? You know, maybe one in ten could have a kopis instead, since while they were used in hoplite warfare, they weren't as common as the xiphos.

Hoplites are a "standard" Infantry Spearman unit, meaning a Hoplite has very similar attributes (albeit, a bit stronger) to the Roman Spearman. What this means is that being an Infantry Spearman, he has to use his spear all the time as that is his role in the game. So, randomizing his weaponry between a spear, xiphos, and kopis isn't really an option. However, we have some cool things planned for the Ekdromos involving his Kopis and Spear used in combination depending on the type of enemy unit he is attacking. Hopefully that'll make your day. B)

i want to see a showcase of the greek phalanx, and its abilities.

Definately! ;) The Showcase feature will be used to detail just about any aspect of the game that we feel appropriate to reveal at the time. :P Once we implement the phalanx formation and its animations, it'll definately be something I'd like to showcase, if the boss allows. :D Right now though we have 2 Showcases already scheduled to release (I just haven't cooked them up yet). One being a pet unit of mine, and the other being a pet game feature of the boss. :P

However, we have some cool things planned for the Ekdromos involving his Kopis and Spear used in combination depending on the type of enemy unit he is attacking. Hopefully that'll make your day.

Sounds good to me! :P

Spartiate looks perfect, too - only gripe is with the sandals, but I'm hoping something will be done with that before release.

albeit, a bit stronger

Off Topic: Strength is relative, different units in a specific class (such as infantry spearman) have different strengths in different areas. Armor, Speed, Attack Value, Attack Rate, Vision, Stamina, Cost, etc... So, it would perhaps be more accurate to say that we will do our best to model and specify Greek spearman as how they fit in historical comparison with other civ's spearman. So if you are a non-greek fan, don't freek out. Your civ's units will be 'strong' all in their own unique way :P

Off Topic: Strength is relative, different units in a specific class (such as infantry spearman) have different strengths in different areas. Armor, Speed, Attack Value, Attack Rate, Vision, Stamina, Cost, etc... So, it would perhaps be more accurate to say that we will do our best to model and specify Greek spearman as how they fit in historical comparison with other civ's spearman. So if you are a non-greek fan, don't freek out. Your civ's units will be 'strong' all in their own unique way.

Wijit is right. Each type of unit has its inherent characteristics. Each type having its own bonuses, attack, and other attributes. The difference then between civs we can adjust these attributes accordingly in order to bring a specific flavor to each civ. That being said, a Spearman from Persia will have the same basic functions as a Spearman from the Hellenes, but with the Hellenes Spearman's stats adjusted to give them a different flavor.

• 2 weeks later...