Building Synergy Mechanics

Lion.Kanzen

Synergy is an interaction or cooperation giving rise to a whole that is greater than the simple sum of its parts. The term synergy comes from the Attic Greek word συνεργία synergia from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together.

as part of leading 0 A.D beyond being an AoE clone.

You have to give it a certain immersion, in this case an immersion that gives the player benefits and that is an extra mechanic .

It occurs to me that civic buildings like the temple and houses augment auras and potentials themselves as in Empire Earth.

The temple should not only heal, it should obtain money (metal) since most cultures made donations, this will depend on the culture.

But going back to the idea, if a temple is in the same area or territory where there are more than 2 houses, it should give a morale bonus that would translate into greater defense and resistance.(like the bonus of the Iberian monument).

The houses should produce a greater concentration of territorial loyalty to the CC.If there is a market and a temple, you should collect income as bonuses.

In ancient times temple sacrifices were sold in markets.

A armory and a barrack should train soldiers faster.

Ideas like that of placing buildings together to make bonuses.

There are many buildings ignored in the attacks. And also when creating new settlements or cities.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Ideas like that of placing buildings together to make bonuses.

I really like this idea. It incentivizes clever building placement.

Granaries could give bonuses to farm gather rates, while CC's wouldn't, making you chose between safety or economic bonus. CC's could give some sort of bonus to markets (most likely a trade bonus, but could also be on barter prices). Just spitballing here, but i really do like this concept.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Another example of a possible mechanic that boosts immersion, and improves gameplay all in one:

attack-ground for ranged units :D

Also melee unit charging (much further from implementable I think)

yes without a doubt, I would like the game to leave you with the technology tree create your strategy,  It would be less repetitive, you would feel that you must plan your strategy.

Another dive would be p.layer vs ambient

And to be able to interact with the environment, find not only treasures, capture religious control points and give bonuses to the temple, something like a sacred place.

Finding ruins and uncovering secrets of ancient Bronze period civilizations and what about some research discount bonuses.

Another interesting map is that small hordes appear from somewhere on the map and attack at random, this happened in stronghold.

This looks like a city building styled proposal, and while I'm not contrary to any such proposals that has the goal of making city building nicer and more immersive, I'm not convinced by this one, because it doesn't seem like it makes cities prettier, on top of the fact that it doesn't really serve 0AD RTS gameplay: synergy between buildings is not fun, and gives birth to forced choices of preferred builds that have poor strategic consequences, if any at all.

This is not to say that any concept of synergy in base building should be disregarded, but that more flexible interactions between buildings and units should be considered, that give rise to visible and counterable strategies. Otherwise I don't think it's worth the complication honestly.