What Makes Your Hometown Special?

In your opinion, what things or elements does the area you live in have that seperate it from the rest of your region, country, ect? The community? Places to eat? Good climate? Low density? And also other factors..... :yiepie:

As for me and my area of residence of Anaheim Hills, everything I need is always close by, the weather's always nice, and even if I don't live in a rich area, it dosen't feel like a slum or lower class area. :banana: I also know the area quite well and I don't feel like having to find everything if i move out. :D

Interesting topic Randy :banana:

Interesting about my bourough is that it's one of the biggest in Flanders. It contains five small towns. A shop is never far, there are many cafés, a nice youth club, a little theatre, etc. There's a lot of nature, as we have the biggest nature reserve of our province. Historically the bourough is also very interesting. Tools of Neanderthals have been found here, grave hills from the neolithic era, a Roman border camp, we have a church with a very old (8th century) Romanesque tower, a few 17th-19th century castles, a steam train museum and many remnants from the second world war, including a museum.

The geographic situation is also great. The Netherlands is only a 2 mins drive away, France 40 mins, Germany 2 hours, we border the other province, the North Sea is 10 mins from here, and we're very close to historical towns as Bruges and Ghent (20 mins and 35 mins).

Really great to live here. My dad already lives here all his life, and I hope I can do the same. :yiepie:

My town has some good features.

First of all, even if a bit in decadence, it is still a much important city, hosting the regional parliament and other important business, research and commerce activities. We have some 5 or 6 theaters, some dozen cinemas, many good pubs and clubs for all tastes (chess, role play games, sport? Name one and you'll find it!). Best of all, even if the city is medium sized (200.000 inhabitants, more or less) it's sourroundings comprehend different natural sites. The sea and the seaside (no sandy beaches, but nonetheless nice), the countryside, and it's near the mountains too (one hour, one hour and half from them). It's inhabitants keep alive a strong sporting tradition (sailing, hiking, rowing, bycicle, athletics, soccer, hockey, volleyball...) and it's always easy to find some clubs to join if you like to practice some sport. Culturally, we have some nice museums (modern art, train museum, navy museum, natural history, the castle arms collection, a big "War museum for peace" and some more. Traditional folk festivals abund (the "Cherry festival", the "May tree festival", the "Sci-Fi Cinema festival" and the international "Alpe Adria Cinema" festival). Many films have been shot here, as a whole or partially (the scenes of Tobruk from the "English patient" were shot in the XIX cent. docks)... ...but most of all, since the city lies on the brink of the balkan area, here you can find people from every corner of Europe and beyond. James Joyce lived here for a long time, and many other writers followed his example. We have a multiethnic community: armenians, greeks, serbs, croats, slovenes, germans, english, americans, indians, chineese, turks, lebaneese, tunisians, iranians, argentins, brazilians, camerunians and some more. Even if those communities could be a bit more interrelating, the city managed to make them a quite integrated part of it's life, things are improoving with time: it's difficult to get bored if you are curious enough to find some occasions to meet different people.

:banana:

there are many cafés

That's what I like about Flanders... You're always close to a nice café with nice people. B-)

Well, what could I say about Best? What could I say about North Brabant? What could I say about Holland? There is only one word for it: Perfect. :yiepie:

Here in North Brabant, we're exaclty the same as people from Flanders (at least, the people I do know). Relaxed, in love with life, enjoying good food, work from time to time, family... Mmm. :banana:

(beer.gif

Well, my hometown in located in the South West of France, near Toulouse (4th biggest town in France and where the Airbus A380 is being built ...). It is right at the foot of hills. It has probably the most beautiful Romans Cloister in the world. It is very famous among Romans Art experts ... and non-experts :banana:

We have a fruit that is famous as well ... It is called "Chasselas de Moissac" ... it is a golden grape, that is very sweet and sooooo tasty ... Hmmm can't wait for September :yiepie:

What's the name of the cloister Curu? You made me interested :banana:

@Jeremiah

No, actually I don't. We were part of the Netherlands, but never Holland. In 1830 several regions wanted to form Belgium, Zeeuws Vlaanderen, Brabant and Limburg among them. But during the tumult between 1830 and 1845 the Netherlands annexed Zeeuws Vlaanderen and parts of Brabant and Limburg. :yiepie: