==[balancing]== Pikeman in A25

Yekaterina

On 15/07/2021 at 11:41 PM, alre said:

No, I don't think it's great to have a civ that is uber OP, a couple more that are still quite OP, and a bunch of civs that are mostly crap. We can do better.

Can we? And for what definition of better?

Can you quantify OP civs? How many rating points can you compensate with the strongest vs the weakest civ currently? 10 50 500? Where does it start to be a problem? Can we realistically have different civs and different units if we want it to be within ±1 rating points? How about maps which favour some civs or strategies, or aren't perfectly symmetrical? Should they be banned? Last but not least, why can't people who are bothered by the slightest imbalance play mirror matchups?

As for OP pikes, well, I still slightly prefer spears as they are more versatile.

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

Can we? And for what definition of better?

Can you quantify OP civs? How many rating points can you compensate with the strongest vs the weakest civ currently? 10 50 500? Where does it start to be a problem? Can we realistically have different civs and different units if we want it to be within ±1 rating points? How about maps which favour some civs or strategies, or aren't perfectly symmetrical? Should they be banned? Last but not least, why can't people who are bothered by the slightest imbalance play mirror matchups?

As for OP pikes, well, I still slightly prefer spears as they are more versatile.

You have a point. In my opinion OP civs also depend on your playstyle and strategies. Most people think that Macedonians are trash and Mauryans are OP, but for me it is the exact opposite; I can do better with Macedonians than Mauryans, even given the civ bonuses. The reason is I love the combination of pikemen plus javelineers and I don't particularly like manoeuvring archers.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 1:16 PM, Yekaterina said:

You have a point. In my opinion OP civs also depend on your playstyle and strategies. Most people think that Macedonians are trash and Mauryans are OP, but for me it is the exact opposite; I can do better with Macedonians than Mauryans, even given the civ bonuses. The reason is I love the combination of pikemen plus javelineers and I don't particularly like manoeuvring archers.

Right !