Take crush damage from siege towers

alre

@alre@Freagarach

3 hours ago, Freagarach said:

ranged infantry on top of the fortress

If I understood you guys correctly, this would mean that when garrisoning the fortress with ranged units, the ranged units appear on top, like on stone walls, and can be killed.

How would this mechanic work? I imagine it would go along with a more comprehensive siege/fortress overhaul. I might make a separate topic to discuss this.

• Increase garrison limit of fort to 40. First 20 units just stay in fortress and don't go on top, additional units get sorted so that only ranged units go on top. If there are 19 spears and 1 archer, then garrisoning 1 extra spear would make the 1 archer automatically go on top. Top capacity: 30 units. I think a UI button could be added as a formation for fort: where you choose "man the walls" or "hold the gate". "hold the gate" maximizes your internal garrison and leaves remaining ranged units on top. "man the walls" moves up to 30 ranged units from your overall garrison to the top positions. ranged units on top of walls/fort do not contribute to arrows or capture defense.
  • Bonus to ranged units on top of Fort: +20% range+200% hack and pierce armor. On top of wall: +10% range, +200% hack and pierce armor
  • Units that can damage units on top of walls/fort: bolt shooters, archers, catapults (with splash), siege towers (explained below)
  • arrows/bolt from siege tower do 5x damage bonus versus units garrisoned on top of stone wall and fortress, and normal damage to all other units.

These changes would make defending forts a more active situation: I think we should remove 1250 HP from forts and raise their stone cost back up to 1000. Also, removing their territory root would be good. Fort's strength, low cost, and territory root made forts less about defense and more about drawing out the game time in a24.

I think that britons' and gauls' rams should get + some hack armor, because it is very frustrating to send 5 rams to a fort so that a few cheap swordsmen can quickly de-garrison and kill the rams. The overall changes would make a fort/wall siege a more interesting mechanic that takes effort and planning from both sides to be successful, but a process that can be finished fairly quickly, unlike real medieval and ancient sieges.

For now: Imagine the fortress has 20 garrison capacity and 10 turret points. It means that you can garrison twenty melee units (the garrison slots) and ten ranged (the turret points). For archers you can choose whether you want them to garrison the fortress or occupy the turret points (either by hotkey or command button). Garrisoned soldiers help in regaining capture points (and increase the arrow count), turreted entities can fire at the enemy themselves. (Note that the feature can be improved.)

• Like 1