Blacksmith rework idea

ValihrAnt

17 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

Ah, that kinda thing. And it would help the game how?

I have the feeling it might be interesting if it was made well, but that it could also easily just turn into a useless annoyance for players, forcing artificial choices on them.

acf501596929eb5b1181b88f44d22f3a.jpeg

Some people are game designers; other people are not. 

As #1 A game consumer

As #2 someone who has played many games with paired techs and without

As #3 a guy who advocated for blacksmith to be generalized for a24

I feel like I can answer @Gurken Khan, just remember I am not a developer, rather an enthusiast.

Paired techs are intended to introduce strategy to upgrade selection. I feel the a24 system is ok for armor, but perhaps it could be a bit more specific for the attack bonuses. For a player, the big charm is being able to tailor the upgrades for the army I am sending to my enemies, without spending a large excess of metal (that is needed to get all upgrades like people do in a24) and other resources that delay my attack and cause me to lack rams/champs/heros/mercs. I think adding unit specific upgrades available after the unit is fully upgraded could be an awesome addition to further distinguish the roles of different units and make the battle strategy more important as people get these upgrades, earlier I called them "unit-perks". Choosing a particular group of upgrades for my army means that I can have a military advantage I can choose as a player, which is an awesome dimension of strategy. 

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007

On 04/06/2021 at 12:18 PM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

Summary of attack upgrades from blacksmith:

P2+20% attack a big increase from p1 might make planned p2 attacks more fruitful, If we combine this with cost reduction for more specific attack upgrades, it will be risky to not get any of these upgrades during p2, especially if there are p2 champs around.

• skirmishers
  • bows
  • slingers
  • short melee
  • long melee

P3 +30% attack

• skirmishers
  • bows
  • slingers
  • short melee
  • long melee

P3-unit perks: designed to give a more specialized bonus to heighten the separate roles those units play (I am less sure about the melee ones- suggest pls)

I know some of these could be more OP than others, maybe price could vary or effect values could change or maybe these could be available to different civs.

• slingers + some crush dmg (appropriate amount) 
  • archers + some accuracy
  • skirmishers + some speed
  • pike/lance + 1 range (longer pike) maybe also something else
  • swords +1 speed
  • mace +1 pierce armor + 1 m/s speed
  • spear +1 to cavalry bonus multiplier (maybe also applies to spearcav?)
  • axe (maybe repeat rate? idk)

Ay @chrstgtr do you think some degree of individuality should be added back into blacksmith?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the 1,2,3 tiers of upgrades are available in the blacksmith. I think I like this change so far. Would it be good to correlate the tier 1,2,3 techs with phase 1,2,3 and make blacksmith available in p1? I feel this would be an interesting option to allow players to somewhat counter that booming=turtling situation that we have discussed a lot. 

If I remember correctly @ValihrAnt you came up with the third tier? what do you think?

Edited by BreakfastBurrito_007
  • Like 1