Game Review: Empire Earth

CodeOptimist

"Epic is too small a word..." Review Three

Empire Earth was quite possibly the most ambitious game created. Starting in the Prehistoric Age and going into the Nano Age, it is simply an enormous game!

Breakdown

Animation [Good]

The animation in Empire Earth was definetly superb, especially considering the huge task of animating each of the hundreds of units in the game!

Civilizations [bad]

This is one of the big mistakes of Empire Earth. No civilizations are "defined" in the game, you can create them yourself by selecting combinations of various bonuses. On the surface, this is sounds like a good idea, but it adds another (un-needed) aspect of gameplay. Plus, it takes away the fun of choosing a civ!

Gameplay [Neutral]

The gameplay was a bit hampered by the engine, which seemed slow to respond to input. Plus, when you have 50 aircraft circling around your Airport, you're lucky to get 10 FPS.

Graphics [Neutral]

For some reason, the grapics seemed a little blurry or washed out in Empire Earth. I believe this has to do with the texture-blending method (alphablending, correct me if I'm wrong). The 3D models were somewhat low-poly, but that wasn't very noticeable unless you zoomed in real close.

Interface [Neutral]

The interface was OK, but still seemed a little slow to respond to input. Sometimes the research/upgrade GUI "panel" was a bit confusing as well.

Multiplayer [Good]

This game supported up to 16 players, and also supported DirectPlay 8, which was good news for NAT/router users! The NAT-tunneling was done completely invisibly (it appeared that all players were "visible" to the Internet), which was very impressive. Lag was not bad at all.

Music [Good]

I liked the in-game music as well as the menu music. An interesting note is, the DirectMusic API that Empire Earth used supported "on-the-fly" music "rendering". The music files that Empire Earth loaded were just instruction sets for "rendering" the music using DirectMusic. Another thing that is supported, although I never noticed Empire Earth using it, is switching tracks/branching halfway through a particular track.

Pathfinding [Good]

The old pathfinding problems from the Age of Empires days are gone! One kind of irritating thing however, was to see units (especially big units like siege weapons) bumping into each other, trying to get aligned. Not a big issue, though.

Single-player [Neutral]

The campaigns included were OK, but a little on the hard side. I never got past the first few scenarios, but I'm sure other people did.

The "skirmish" AI was good, but if I recall correctly it seemed more like a robot than a real person.

Sound Effects [Good]

The sound effects were nice and clear-sounding. What sounded especially sweet was the sound of a nuke bomber over your enemies' town!

Timeframe [Neutral]

I'd say Good on this one, but Empire Earth was possibly "too big". It's definetly very hard to create a game of this magnitude and keep it fun to play on every Age/Epoch.

Other/Misc

Empire Earth is a good example of two other points that aren't on my chart: PR and Publisher. I would tend to say that Empire Earth was "built up" too much, for too long (bad PR). It was going to be the "best RTS", with every feature that was ever left out of any other game. In the end, they had to cut a lot of good features from the game to keep it on schedule.

Another reason Empire Earth wasn't what it could have been is due to the game's publisher, Sierra. Remember how everyone was begging for game recording and multiplayer scenarios? Stainless Steel responded saying that they would love to add these features, but the publisher refused. Good riddance.

Lessons Learned

What it means for 0 A.D.

Keeping tabs on what the general public knows and doesn't know is a very important issue in game development. In the case of Empire Earth, the public knew too much, too early.

Also important is making sure the game engine responds to input as soon as possible, giving it as high a priority in the command queue as it possibly can.

One problem that 0 A.D. won't ever have is the problem of a game publisher. Who needs them anyway? I guess you do if you want to make money, but the true pro's release their game for free

Another problem that 0 A.D. won't have is keeping every Age/Epoch unique and fun to play.

Empire Earth deviated from the traditional AoE-style civilizations, and in my book, that was somewhat of a bad choice. I think the idea of custom civilizations is a neat one, but it's very hard to make it work in the context of an RTS game.

Empire Earth also implemented a very unique unit upgrade system that has not been done in any other game, as far as I know. By clicking on a particular unit stat, you could upgrade that stat. It's an interesting idea, but it takes away from the fun of researching unit upgrade technologies.

Next Up: Empire Earth: Art of Conquest (Demo)

A computer player is considered a player; hence Empire Earth supports 16 players in single player mode. Play that is not conducted online is referred to as single player. In this sense "player" is referring to the number of human players as opposed to the previous use of "player" which refers to either a computer or human player.

Single player has been refined as a term over the years to constitute any play that occurs offline. I can see how using it in such a context can be confusing, but it really isn't meant to be.

We're actually working on something that you'll like if you don't like the AoK/AoM editor. One thing I think we can confirm is that we're not going to try to make our editor "like" [insert game's] editor, but rather it'll destinctly be known as the 0AD editor, not the 0AD editor that is like AOM's editor

(am I allowed to be saying stuff like this? :) )