Jump to content

Adding new units confusion


Recommended Posts

Hi there,
Newbie trying to take on modding. Right now I'm just trying to add custom units to Hyrule Conquest for @#$% and giggles before expanding on new stuff. But I'm having issues with exporting rigged models.

I managed to import non-rigged meshes and have use them (thanks for the guide and tips on the discord btw, very helpful ^^). Things get more messy with rigged ones.

As a start I'm only using models and animations already present in the mods, so I at least know that the problems doesn't come from the model itself. I created a new actor and template and setup everything.

In the case, it's Mipha's model, just recolored and using a Zora's set of animations. The skeleton matches.
If I copy paste the original Mipha's meshes .dae and point to it, it works fine (there is a small animation glitch with the tail but overall the unit works as intended).

But if I open the .dae on Maya, re-export it without modification, and then point to that new file in the actor, I get this


If I understood correctly there should be a xml file for each skeleton ( created using the convertor), but I couldn't find where to point out to that file. And regardless, shouldn't it work anyway since it the same Zora Skeleton already used elsewhere (unless I must change something in the dae file itself ?) ?

Or is it something I'm doing wrong with the export ? Here is my setup in the attached files, if it's of any help

I also added the dae file generated.

Sorry to ask for assistance. I've been going in cricle with that for a few days now and I can't see myself addind my own stuff if I struggle with already made one T T'

image.png

image.png

Edited by Adrix
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to the forums @Adrix

19 minutes ago, Adrix said:

If I understood correctly there should be a xml file for each skeleton ( created using the convertor), but I couldn't find where to point out to that file. And regardless, shouldn't it work anyway since it the same Zora Skeleton already used elsewhere (unless I must change something in the dae file itself ?) ?

Skeletons do not need to be pointed to, they are recognized automatically, this is both a good thing and a bad thing. Yeah, if it's using the same skeleton as another one you do not need to create the file.

20 minutes ago, Adrix said:

But if I open the .dae on Maya, re-export it without modification, and then point to that new file in the actor, I get this

Yeah, most of the time, import doesn't work with animated DAEs, you should ask @The Undying Nephalim for the source file instead.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Adrix said:

Thanks for the answer ^^
Oh so it might be precisely because I re-use the existing mesh that it does this ?

Right now I didn't touch the animation dae, only the static mesh for the unit.

Oh okay.

So first "static_meshes" should contain both the mesh, and the armature.

animation should also contain both the mesh and the armature. However if multiple static meshes are using the same animation because the skeleton is compatible you do not need to export all the meshes as animation.

The static_mesh should have the same number of bones and vertex groups than the animation. The static_mesh may not have two vertex groups with the same name.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some extra checks after taking all that into account (changing the animations used etc...)

Aaaand I think I found the issue. Seems like the rig, while present, isn't connected to the mesh anymore in my re-exported file. Which I assume makes it non-existent for 0ad.

So I re-expored again with a few changes and now the rig works as intended in maya (added the file). Good. But 0Ad now tells me this

image.png.bb7eab629a1dc840bdb80c68b4b1801a.png

 

With the mesh not showing up at all. Probably a Maya/export settings issue.

jdr_kelpie.dae

Edited by Adrix
Link to post
Share on other sites

I loaded the file in Blender and made a few checks but didn't find something inherently wrong.

  • 1 material maximum... okay
  • Mesh parented to the armature... okay
  • Vertex groups... okay

Did you get any error before or after those three like unable to load skeletons or something ? If you changed the rig, you need a new skeleton file.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the post limit and the answer. And if the problem comes from Maya that would explain the struggle for sure >>" I will try redoing it with Blender or 3dsMax, see if that solves everyting.

Thanks for the help !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update (sorry for the double post)

Same result with 3ds. BUT the error message disappears with Blender so that's seems to indeed be the issue. What I now have is this unholy abomination of hell. But that's my export which is screwing up (Once exported the rig is a 90° compared to the mesh). I will study blender export more.
 

EDIT : Fixed the 90° thing, still get the zora from hell °^°'

EDIT AGAIN : Alright ! Finally managed ! Just needed a blender plugin for better dae exports. Thanks again everyone !

 

image.thumb.png.6395274ffd96db47e82d622470e222d6.png

Edited by Adrix
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...