Build issue with Visual Studio 2017

FYI

I had issues building pyrogenesis using Visual Studio 2017 with VC++ 2015 compiler on Windows 10

I was getting following type of errors

1>------ Build started: Project: pyrogenesis, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\v140_xp\Toolset.targets(36,5): warning MSB8003: Could not find WindowsSdkDir_71A variable from the registry.  TargetFrameworkVersion or PlatformToolset may be set to an invalid version number.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(366,5): warning MSB8003: Could not find WindowsSDKDir variable from the registry.  TargetFrameworkVersion or PlatformToolset may be set to an invalid version number.
1>main.cpp
1>c:\projects-0ad\0ad\source\lib/external_libraries/opengl.h(44): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/gl.h': No such file or directory
1>Done building project "pyrogenesis.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I eventually found out that the issue had to do with the value specified for PlatformToolset in the project property file (.vcxproj file)

Changing

<PlatformToolset>v140_xp</PlatformToolset>
to 
<PlatformToolset>v140</PlatformToolset>

in all the *.vcxproj file resolved this issue

Thought I should post this in case others were struggling with this too.

38 minutes ago, elexis said:

vs2017 isn't supported, only 2015 (and for few more time 2013)

The instructions at

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

gives the impression that it might be supported. Here is what I found

Setting up the build environment

The game must be compiled with Microsoft Visual C++. You can get the free 2015 Community edition, or 2013 Express edition, here: Visual Studio older downloads. You can also install Visual Studio 2017 and choose to install the 2015 compiler (version 14.0).

19 hours ago, ssatguru said:

Yes

Looking at the error you have it looks like you ran in the same trouble as I did.

I solved it by uninstalling Visual Studio 2017 alltogether then only reinstalling the vs2015 toolset not the 2017 one. I think they basically conflict with each other.

If like me you do C# it will still work

• 1 month later...