Looking for the Theses Behind Each Faction's Emblems

Got curious. The only emblem I'm familiar with is Sparta's Lambda Blazon. But I don't know why the team chose it asides from the fact that the Spartans were known to have it on their shields. At least for this one, I can make a quick search to look for its history. About the other factions, I have no idea what their emblems are, and thus can't search the web about it.

Can anyone provide me links if ever they're somewhere in the forums? I'm asking because gave up looking for the Celtic Emblems.

• Like 1

This should get you going:

Athens: The owl has a longstanding association with Athena and Athenian silver coins almost always bore that mark. I think its a good choice.

Persia: Their emblem appears to be a modified faravahar, a depiction of the Zoroastrian concept of spirit and represents good thoughts, words, and deeds.

Macedon: Looks like the Vergina Sun, which is associated with Argead dynasty.

Ptolemies: "Eagle of Zeus," see @Lion.Kanzen's post here.

Carthage: Symbol of the goddess Tanit, minus the crescent moon. She was the patron goddess of Carthage.

Seleucids: The anchor appears to be some dynastic propaganda story to link Seleucus I Nicator to divine origins (Apollo).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread so you guys could check if I got it right:

Athenians - Owl of Athena
Britons - Battersea Shield
Carthaginians - Sign of Tanit (No Crescent Variation)
Gauls - Celtic Circle (Or Celtic Knot, I'm still not sure)
Macedonians - Vergina Sun
Mauryans - Lotus Flower
Persians - Faravahar (Old Version - that's why the human figure isn't there)
Ptolemies - Eagle of Zeus
Romans - Capitoline Wolves (I'm not sure if they are the legendary wolves, or why there has to be two of them)
Seleucids - Royal Anchor
Spartans - Lambda Blazon
Thebans - Spiked Club (Yeah, go ahead and laugh because it looks like a club to me. I just put it in here because it's in the source)

The Wolf is called Luperca. I have a statue(mini)  from she.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitoline_Wolf I'm not sure why ar two but may be represent his sons.

-----

92c510ab6588e6d34e0196398ad81293.jpg

A Hero legendary uses a club or korune (club)

mighty_hercules_v2_by_rubusthebarbarian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herakles_(Euripides)

10030115.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Spartans - Lambda Blazon

The meaning of the lambda is Λακεδαίμων / Lakedaímôn, which is basically the other name of Sparta ( > Σπάρτα / Spárta in Dorian Greek=language group of the Spartan dialect, Σπάρτη / Spártê in Attic Greek=Athens's region Greek).

EDIT: Historians suppose Spartan hoplites used to paint a lambda on their shield to recognize themselves on the battlefield. Athenians and Thebans used to paint their shields too, representing an owl and a sphynx respectively.

Edited by Tiber7
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit of update:
Romans - Let's just assume that the two wolves represent Romulus and Remus
Thebans - Although the closest correlation I can find is a Disney movie, the Club of Hercules
Iberians - I didn't notice that I missed this one. And the only thing I can find is that it's a modified design of a certain shield I found on Pinterest.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?40230-Faction-preview-No-5-Thebes

The icon is the club of Hercules within the shape of a typical boeotian shield.These are the two typical symbols of the boeotian league and the city of Thebes, merged together.

Iberian.

The Caetra was the typical shield of Iberia. In a round shape, with dimensions ranging from 50 to 70 centimeters in diameter, it was made of leather or wood lined leather and was a suitable protection for combat in formation or guerrilla.

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caetra

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1