[Scenario] Western Mediterranean (5)

Palaxin

Hello guys , I find very interesting project , I would like another ancient civilization that left a sign of his presence in the Mediteranean , Nuraghic , occupied the whole Sardinia and part of the southern coast of Corsica , I refer you to wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuragic_civilization ; I apologize for my bad english

italian version

Spoiler

Ciao ragazzi, trovo il progetto molto interessante, vorrei segnalare un'altro antica civilità, che ha lasciato segno della sua presenza nel mediteraneo, la civiltà nuragica, occupava tutta la sardegna e parte delle coste sud della corsica, vi rimando alla pagina wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuragic_civilization

7 minutes ago, Bastian25 said:

Hello guys , I find very interesting project , I would like another ancient civilization that left a sign of his presence in the Mediteranean , Nuraghic , occupied the whole Sardinia and part of the southern coast of Corsica , I refer you to wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuragic_civilization ; I apologize for my bad english

italian version

Reveal hidden contents

Ciao ragazzi, trovo il progetto molto interessante, vorrei segnalare un'altro antica civilità, che ha lasciato segno della sua presenza nel mediteraneo, la civiltà nuragica, occupava tutta la sardegna e parte delle coste sud della corsica, vi rimando alla pagina wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuragic_civilization

And how  are related your request to the scenario?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Player1 said:

How much longer should I wait then? Why couldnt someone just send me the map? It is going to be 2 months soon.

If AtlasMapper removed the link he might have had a reason for it. Best way would be to contact him via PM and ask.

Edit: I've sent AtlasMapper a PM.

Edited by fcxSanya
  • Like 2

Some pictures of height-based texturing using a script :)

I am planning to do a good amount of tweaking, but if someone (@Player1) can't wait to test the map himself in Atlas, here are the files: WesternMediterraneanDemo.zip - Have fun!

BTW what do you think about square vs circle map shape?

HeightTextures1.jpg

HeightTextures2.jpg

HeightTextures3.jpg

A pretty big problem is the shoreline because of the limited resolution of the 8-bit grayscale heightmaps. The topography heightmap says the grey areas are under water, the bathymetry (ocean floor) heigtmap says they are above sea level... I probably need to combine them with another source

topo-bathy-diff.jpg

Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 1:45 PM, Pravetz said:

I am interested, but I used the content of  @Palaxin, so I think if he also agrees then it can be added.

I agree :D Thanks for finishing my work!

Suggestion for polishing the map with some hand editing in Atlas:

• make texture distribution more natural
    • less sand in Brittany, north western France, Poland and Balkan
    • more sand in northern Africa / Sahara
    • replace full snow in the Atlas mountains with rocky/snowy mixture (there are no real glaciers in the Atlas mountains like in the Alps)
  • break up repetitive texture patterns by replacing uniform texture areas with a combination of 2-3 different textures
    • Atlas mountains
    • plains of Spain, middle and eastern Europe
  • adjust shoreline at some critical areas according to real world maps:
    • eradicate lakes in northern Africa and in Brittany
    • a bit more land in northern Italy (Venice area) / make north western Adriatic Sea a bit smaller
    • a bit more land in eastern Brittany
    • some fine tuning of the western and northern French coast, and Belgium/Netherlands/Germany coastline
  • add more flora and fauna apart from the woods
  • maybe add treasures and/or special objects like stone quarries (the new ones features in Delenda Est)
Edited by Palaxin
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have made a new version of the map. (Considering suggestions by @Palaxin)
This version will not rewrite the previous version and will be separate in map selection screen.

# Changelog:
> MAP:
- New player added in the area of present-day Czech Republic, instead of Gaia CC and units
- Texture adjustments
- More land in Brittania and Venice areas
- Strait of Gibraltar is now passable for big ships
- More flora and fauna, Germanic forests became more dangerous to explore.
- Treasures added in some places
- Other minor changes
> PLAYERS:
- Romans received a plenty of treasures near their CC to improve their starting position
- Gauls also got a buff in the form of food bins and wood planks

WesternMediterranean_var2.zip

• Like 1

• 7 months later...