Design meeting report #2

Karamel

Yes, we have an MP list in which we share our points of view. The meeting shouldn't length more than one hour, it's not where topics will be debated much.

There was only one meeting previously which served as establishing the root, so I can't tell exactly how it will work, but I think it will be the place were our week discussions are summed up and things are officially acted (otherwise there isn't any clear point when we can go further relying upon what was decided). From a meeting to another, we set on what we should work for the next one.

Once the general concepts are clear (how the game should be), I'd like to put implementation (how things are done) on more opened discussions. Even if I'm lurking on the forums these days. The design team members would be there to check wether suggestions would fit to the concepts. But like mentioned above, this is just how I feel it, not how it will be (this is up to the team).

No design meeting yesterday, it would happen soon.

We are currently splitting the main description we set from the design documents into general aspects of the game to detail them further.

More to come...

Dude, are you serious? why post a topic and then tell everyone "well we don't have to say anything for now"?

Edited by DarcReaver
  • Like 1

So, we had our meeting yesterday evening. There were niektb, DarcReaver and myself, and Stan and Scynthetwhirler (I would never write his name twice identically) as spectators.

The general vision was split on four topics during the week and we got more details about each one.

The limit of historical accuracy in 0 A.D.

0 A.D. tries to be as historically accurate as possible and therefore its gameplay and civilisations are supported by an historical background. But it's still an RTS game (and not a simulator or an arcade game) and therefore some exceptions and compromises need to be made to keep the game playable and enjoyable.

We told about civilisations, unit roles, learning historical things and complex things that cannot be implemented or would be not enjoyable in an RTS game.

Winning a battle and planning them

Compared to Age of Kings battle tactics should take a more prominent place in 0 A.D. Players should plan their battles instead of massing their units. Scouting is an integral part if this.

There were much things said upon this topic, about forming an army, deploying it, massing, use of terrain, scouting, micro and macro, techs, orders, formations, battalions, train time... But to get the general principle somewhat in a hurry.

Building Cities

Just like planning battles needs thought, base building needs it too. A key feature in how you're going to shape your base is to possess strategic spots that you need in the longer run to outlast your opponents.

This point revolved arount building smartly, holding resources, defending and weaknesses, offense/defense/eco civs... Again to get the general principle behind that.

Next meeting

Next meeting is scheduled on sunday 21:00. The last point about evolution of a game through time was postponed to this next meeting.

• Like 3