Does petra have some sort of issue with civ changes?

chaosislife13

Mod side, I've .deleted all but brits so everyone has to play as brit, problem is that petra doesn't seem to do anything at all, it won't build units, it won't build structures, it'll only gather with the starting units and defend with them. My reasoning is that for what I'm doing there really is only one civ at the start, everyone starts as hunter gather barely above cave man, and builds up from there. Or at least that's what it'll be eventually, but I'm not an AI coder so I need to structure things so that the AI can work with the changes, if the AI has to be re-written for every change.........that'll be a huge problem. I'm also not a modeler, hence there only being one civ, I can't make units and buildings for all of the existing civs that match upgrades like fence->palisade->wooden wall->rough stone wall->solid stone wall or spearman->javelin tosser->fork.

Can you be more explicit of your mod and what you have deleted ? there is no reason for the brits not to behave correctly, so that must come from your changes.

Futhermore which version are you using A17 or svn ? and do you have a link to this mod ?

edit: from your description, one possibility is that you try to start the game without cc ? that can't work for the time being and need http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2877

I ddn't delete them per se, I used the .delete trick where you change their extensions. Simply deleting them would result in the game defaulting to the originals. As i said, I removed everyone but the brits because I'm aiming to start with more a hut/bigger hut thing than the gauls have going for them. There are a few other changes that are a bit problematic, but they were done after the AI issues cropped up, and they don't have much to do with them anyhow. The primary issue i get is warnings about lines being missing from the females, that's because I edited it out so they could attack everything if ordered to. the only other wider change i can think of is a alteration of the units template so units no longer act as obstructions to other units, it's a total hack and it looks screwy when you've got 200 units standing in the exact same spot, but it's the only way I could figure out to keep my gatherers from blocking off the drop sites and causing tons of lag. I use I hell of a lot of gatherers.

that was one o the first things i tried, seemed obvious, didn't work. I don't recall just how it didn't work tho, I think it was that the random maps wouldn't load but i could be wrong.

EDIT: ugh, nevermind apparently it was one of those things that shouldn't have had anything to do with the AI but apparently does. I had renamed all the {civ}_buildingheres in the infantry template to brit_buildingheres while trying to force them to stop using the buildings the game thought they should use instead of the ones their brit starting units should have actually been able to build. What that means is that instead of petra telling the units to build a dock it's telling them to build a {civ}_dock instead so the only way to force all enemies to use the same buildings IS to only have one civ. Editing their civ files won't work. And it appears that the game also really doesn't like it when i remove an entry from their construction list, cuz I'm still getting errors about "unable to remove {civ}_fortress from every single unit that's not even in the game any more. why do i need a warning about the selucids? I'm not using the selucids. they're not on the map when i start the map, they can't be built by anyone on the map, why are you warning me about things that aren't even there?

Edited by chaosislife13

Concerning your first problem, Petra does not (yet) use the building list from the template, but assumes thoses from its civ. The solution is very easy: we need a function which take the list of existing entities for a given player, from it get the list of available buildings, and from it check if one will fit with the kind of building we want to build. The only difficulty is that it should be fast enough (must be done dynamically). A perfect task for any modder who want to contribute to the AI :wink1:

Concerning your first problem, Petra does not (yet) use the building list from the template, but assumes thoses from its civ. The solution is very easy: we need a function which take the list of existing entities for a given player, from it get the list of available buildings, and from it check if one will fit with the kind of building we want to build. The only difficulty is that it should be fast enough (must be done dynamically). A perfect task for any modder who want to contribute to the AI :wink1:

Interesting. I thought the ai was already dynamic and used classes. I was having trouble with the ai not building farms, but then I realized that I took the "Struct" class away from farms (for technology reasons) and this messed up the ai so they didnt buold them. I added "struct" back to the classes of the farms and the ai started building them again.

Might have to hunt around but there 'should' be a way to effect all structures except farms. Mind you that's a should and not an is. I certainly hope so tho, cuz otherwise you'll need to make an entry for every structure you DO want the tech to apply to. And it wouldn't apply to new structures.

Edited by chaosislife13

Interesting. I thought the ai was already dynamic and used classes. I was having trouble with the ai not building farms, but then I realized that I took the "Struct" class away from farms (for technology reasons) and this messed up the ai so they didnt buold them. I added "struct" back to the classes of the farms and the ai started building them again.

The ai already uses classes and try to be as dynamic as possible, but the needed changes are not fully completed. And the choice of structures to be built is one of the missing pieces. When the ai wants to build a field, a cart civ will always try to build a cart_field, whatever is in its units templates.

There are much bigger issues for the ai to build a palisade :( (placement in particular). But all these points only support my comment #9:to extend mod possibilities in SP, we need more people working on the ai. Some of the needed tasks are simple, they "just" require time,

• Like 1