[Skirmish Map] Jaxartes River

The northernmost border of the Seleucid Empire, separating it from the steppe tribes and as far north as Alexander's army ever reached.

It's my first 0 A.D. map, nothing very fancy as of visuals, as that's not my forte and the steppe biome doesn't help much, but I believe it plays pretty well. The AI seems to like it as well, it was tougher to beat compared to other maps I've played on SP. I also noticed an AI glitch while testing it. On one of the matches the AI built many defense towers across the northern edge of the map, while obviously none could invade it from that side.

The forum won't let me upload one of the two map files, so I guess there should be some other way sharing it.

post-12675-0-51661600-1412432071_thumb.p

Thanks to niektb for explaining how to place skirmish entities.

Edit: Thanks again, map added.

Jaxartes River (2).zip

Edited by Prodigal Son
  • Like 3

Yeah, but this is your first map on atlas ? That's always nice to be encouraged to go further :)

Now get back to it and make it a must have for the game :P

It's the first one I've bothered making complete, the others were mostly to test units etc. But I've had a good deal of mapmaking in WC3, AOM and other games, so I'm not a complete newbie. Feeling encouraged is great though:)

I kinda miss the AOM tileset textures with their perfectly merging edges, making anything look great. I could have used some better textured tileset, but the steppe one looked as the most fitting for the region.

The Steppe biome is not really the best choice for a good-looking map. I think I would go for something like Savanah in combination with temperate to get your desired graphical location. (haven't really tried that out though)

Also, do you have crossing in the water? I think it would be good to mark it with some plants in the shallow water.

I think I would put some more features to the map design like some shallow pools, some animals and surrounded by trees (oasis alike). And how about a dry riverbed crossing the grasslands?

The Steppe biome is not really the best choice for a good-looking map. I think I would go for something like Savanah in combination with temperate to get your desired graphical location. (haven't really tried that out though)

Also, do you have crossing in the water? I think it would be good to mark it with some plants in the shallow water.

I think I would put some more features to the map design like some shallow pools, some animals and surrounded by trees (oasis alike). And how about a dry riverbed crossing the grasslands?

Thanks for the suggestions:)

Could try replacing the textures I guess, it's true that others look much better. The water has two crossings, those might be better if marked but I'm not sure.. this way scouting is more important. The map away from the river is mostly supposed to be flat semi-dry grasslands so not sure pools would fit. I believe there's quite a bit of animals, not too much nor too few.

I'm noticing that we are still getting a bit of the "impassable red" around the edges of the water. I can see some in that first screenshot also. It's not nearly as bad as before though.

Normally you wouldn't see that red, but if you take a screenshot it appears (in this case)

• 4 weeks later...