Building/Unit Names in Ancient Scripts?

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. I was just looking at the latest SVN version, and I saw that the game interface now supports other alphabets... does this mean that it's now possible to write the unit/building names, for the Athenians let's say, in Ancient Greek in the Greek script, rather than what we have now (a transliteration into the Latin script)? If so, I think that would add another level of realism to the game.

This could get very interesting and somewhat exotic, especially if we made use of some of the lesser-known scripts, ie: Old Persian Cuneiform (which is Unicode Supported!) for Persian or Phoenician/Punic for the Carthaginian names (also Unicode Supported!).

Thanks,

Atenmeses

• Like 1

This has been proposed in the past, one idea was to use pre-rendered textures with the names in ancient scripts. Really I don't think they would add much to the game other than confusion, since almost nobody will be able to read them. It would be interesting to see, maybe not cluttering the session UI, but for an in-game "encyclopedia".

The font system only supports Unicode signs from the first plane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode#Code_point_planes_and_blocks), so sadly, this excludes most historic languages.

Would it be difficult to change that? Perhaps more of a challenge would be finding fonts that include them...

Atenmeses is back. Interesting point. We could just have the original transcription as tooltip?

Would it be difficult to change that? Perhaps more of a challenge would be finding fonts that include them...

Would it be even possible to include Elvish? There are free fonts for that at least. :)

• Like 1

For text in UTF8, no, the numbering just continues. But UTF16 always requires exactly one wchar in the first plane, while it requires two wchars in astral planes (where the first one is a quite arbitrary number denoting the plane number). I have no idea how far our methods are prepared to support two wchars for one codepoint. But I expect it will give strange bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely something to look into. I don't think there's any games out there that do something similar. Since we have the generic names anyway it's not really a problem if people can't read the name. It would be nice to see the pronunciation in the tooltips or something similar though.

If there aren't any free fonts out there we could try making one. Even if it's just a crude one to start with. Since this is open source someone will come along and improve it eventually.

• Like 1