[Discussion] Localization (again)

I have just had another idea: rather than adding exceptions for locales that don't exist, we should use a default locale if the validation fails, but still load the translations fot the desired language.

Actually ICU does have a fallback procedure according to their homepage:

1. The variant is removed, if there is one.

2. The country is removed, if there is one.

3. The script is removed, if there is one.

4. The ICU default locale is examined. The same set of steps is performed for the default locale.

http://userguide.icu-project.org/locale#TOC-Fallback

Yes, we seem to currently validate a locale by getting all locale data from icu, and checking if it matches.

While icu is clever enough to do fallbacks on its own. So we should probably just drop that check (I tested that, and it works) our maybe do the check, but only warn users about some incorrect stuff (s.a. a wrong date format) they may see.

I don't know where to put this, so I'm listing here where I will need more space for Gaelic:

Language -> Advanced -> Auto detect

Options: first column. This might be solved by having more space between options when there is an overflow

I have tweaked all the other strings that are too long, so if you could pull Gaelic one more time from Transifex befoe the release, it would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DJG goes on an adventure with Pip, Marc Gomez & Cathy Camacho, learns about TaxiClear with Michael, Thomas & Nick, joins Karl & Katie to talk Snitch, discovers Albion's Legacy with Thomas M Gofton, and interviews Paul Schomer on Meet the Crowd.

djg600x.png

Here is the Episode Page:

http://bedrockcommunications.blogspot.in/2014/05/dj-grandpas-crib-six-pixels-away.html#.U4QFAThOUTo

You may download full Episode from here:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/archive.org/download/DjGrandpasCribSixPixelsAway/DJG14052601_128kst.mp3

Edited by jackky

• 3 months later...

I have a string question.

gui-ingame.pot

gui/session/dialogs/yes_no.xml:15 (caption)

"Yes or no?"

My language has no words for yes/no. We use the positive/negative form of the verb that was used in the question instead (Portuguese speakers will know what I'm talking about, but I don't have any Sim/Não type alternative to use). So, I need some context here.

We usually expand questions with a standard verb to make this happen,because most projects don't allow individual translation of yes/no. It would help me to see such a message on screen to make sense of this string - wouldn't there be 2 buttons to click anyway, so why is this string there at all?

A screenshot or instructions on how to trigger this string would help me.

Edited by GunChleoc

Hmm, taking a closer look at that file it might not be actually used anywhere but just used as a template for the actual text that is then added via Javascript to create the final "yes or no" question. I'll leave it to the programmers to say for sure though as that's beyond my knowledge.

• 4 months later...