Alpha XIV Name Suggestions

ImperiusDamian

Hi all,

New here but been following 0 A.D. for a while now and I think it's shaping up to be one hell of a game!

So in that spirit, since I don't see an existing topic, I thought I'd throw one up for Alpha 14 name suggestions!

Mine is Naukratis - a city in the Nile Delta of Lower Egypt, mainly inhabited by Greeks from the 6th century BC onwards. It also contained pottery that demonstrated the (so far) earliest known examples of the early Greek alphabet. Naukratis was until the rise of Alexandria the most important port city in Egypt.

• Like 2

And if you remember the name of Jhelum in one latest releases was is similar , the announcement of Mauryan faction. Now the same with your suggestion. I suggest make a map based in that name. As demo.

And change the topic you are big fan of Egypt, I have mod with Bronze civilizations, and we had New kingdom egypt. Is in mod forum if you are interested in see it.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

And if you remember the name of Jhelum in one latest releases was is similar , the announcement of Mauryan faction. Now the same with your suggestion. I suggest make a map based in that name. As demo.

That's a good idea too, if I was a mapmaker I'd give it a go!

And change the topic you are big fan of Egypt, I have mod with Bronze civilizations, and we had New kingdom egypt. Is in mod forum if you are interested in see it.

Oh nice, i'll check that out! Thanks :)

Just in order to give another name in N : Nineveh

According to Wikipedia, Nineveh "was an ancient Assyrian city on the eastern bank of the Tigris River, and capital of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. It was the largest city in the world for some fifty years[1] until it was sacked and completely depopulated by an unusual coalition of Medes, Persians, Babylonians, Scythians and Cimmerians in 612 BC. Its ruins are across the river from the modern-day major city of Mosul, in the Ninawa Governorate of Iraq."

Well, this all is just for culture, because the story of Nineveh doesn't fit the game's timeframe. Too old. But it's a quite "legendary" town, and it is said that the famous haging Gardens of Babylon were in fact in Nineveh.

To walk toward a name choice : I like the name Naukratis.

But is there already a theme, a civ or a specific stuff we want to emphasize with Alpha XIV, something that could help the choice of the name ?

• Like 2

Nomarchia

Nomarchs were the semi-feudal rulers of Ancient Egyptian provinces. Serving as provincial governors, they each held authority over one of the 42 nomes (Egyptian: sepat) into which the country was divided. Nome is derived from the Greek nomos, meaning a province or district, and nomarch is derived from the Greek title nomarches (νομάρχης), the ruler of a nomos.[1] The nomarchs exercised considerable power.

The division of the kingdom into nomes can be documented as far back as the Old Kingdom (in the 3rd millennium BCE) and continued even up until the Roman period.

The title was also in use in modern Greece for the heads of the prefectures of Greece, which were also titled nomos (pl. νομοί, nomoi; νομαρχία, nomarchia also being used to refer to the area under a nomarch's purview).[2]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nucrtics are very god, but why not Nike? XD

There may be issues with using Nike, as its trademarked by... Nike.

My suggestions with Wikipedia info:

• Nebuchadnezzar II (c 634 – 562 BC) was king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire, who reigned c. 605 BC – 562 BC. He is credited with the construction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and for the destruction of the First Temple.
  • Nerio was an ancient war goddess and the personification of valor. She was the partner of Mars in ancient cult practices, and was sometimes identified with the goddess Bellona, and occasionally with the goddess Minerva. Spoils taken from enemies were sometimes dedicated to Nerio by the Romans. Nerio was later supplanted by mythologized deities appropriated and adapted from other religions.
  • Nox, goddess of night, derived from the Greek Nyx.
  • Neptune (Latin: Neptūnus) was the Roman god of freshwater and the sea[1] in Roman religion.
  • Nemesis, goddess of revenge
  • Nero, last Julio-Claudian emperor of Rome.

There may be issues with using Nike, as its trademarked by... Nike.

The shoe company has the name trademarked in the context of shoes and apparel. They cannot, however, trademark the name of the Greek goddess of Victory for every context.

My suggestions with Wikipedia info:
  • Nebuchadnezzar II (c 634 – 562 BC) was king of the Neo-Babylonian Empire, who reigned c. 605 BC – 562 BC. He is credited with the construction of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and for the destruction of the First Temple.
  • Nerio was an ancient war goddess and the personification of valor. She was the partner of Mars in ancient cult practices, and was sometimes identified with the goddess Bellona, and occasionally with the goddess Minerva. Spoils taken from enemies were sometimes dedicated to Nerio by the Romans. Nerio was later supplanted by mythologized deities appropriated and adapted from other religions.
  • Nox, goddess of night, derived from the Greek Nyx.
  • Neptune (Latin: Neptūnus) was the Roman god of freshwater and the sea[1] in Roman religion.
  • Nemesis, goddess of revenge
  • Nero, last Julio-Claudian emperor of Rome.

All good suggestions. I kind of like Nemesis.