Aristeia @ sourceforge

idanwin

• 1 year later...

Reply to http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17918&page=21#entry297688

AFAICS the structure of Aristeia (version from sourceforge) is like in the main game (and there is not much you could/should do about it).

The change in organization of the civ definition has to be done in the main game (and it maybe will initially break some things).

I don't have enough knowledge about simulations/the engine to exactly tell how much work it would be to change the civs definition (And maybe add another layer where things are defined ready to use in Atlas but the civs - what can be build/trained and the technologies - are not so the civ definition gets easy in the next layer).

Better you implement the changes and search for occurring errors and then offer a patch to the main game's track with good arguments why the change is worth it.

For me (as I said to Lion.Kanzen before in a PM) it's a bit early to really work on mods.

However, as you work on mods anyway you should take the opportunity to let the main games team know what problems you face as moders and what things would make life easier for moders.

(This will likely need much stamina, frustration tolerance and to use the channels of communication the main teams developers use - so mainly not the forum)

All the best to you.

Edited by FeXoR

Thx FeXoR for the interest, it's not a complicated change though. Basically it's changing nothing at all as the Civ is meta data only and nothing else.

The unit's templates (Builder element in the XML) and the technologies define what is constructable, how much harvest you have, how efficient your archers' weapons are and so on.

It's all pretty easy and the only things we need to clearly keep in mind are:

- Only model entities if historical evidence exists.

- Follow the historical process, i.e. model reconstructions.

- Create an actor.xml for it. (now it's available in 0AD as eyecandy)

The simulation templates part:

- Think of functional things! Only think in those terms, because every civ had to survive and they tried to do as good as possible.

It could even be generalized to make the civs consistent for gameplay:

- They surely trained soldiers, so where did they train them and how. Don't distort these facts, so if the Celts did train their soldiers in the forrest, then they did and then they don't need a building for it. On the other hand if there are civs where there were several buildings that trained different soldiers, then add those. If a commander used to sleep in a tent, then don't increase the tent's footprint only to keep it consistent with the Egyptian Pharao's military caravan or whatever.

Luckily Sander + leper + Itms are some of those that really cared for mods and changed things significantly to ease modders lives.

But generally modding doesn't apply to what CoM does, as the Council or rather Fallen Empires Studio develops, adds new features, and content, all additive, and thus it's not really 'modding' (modification), but rather adding (Addons, Extensions).

I have already used IRC but it resulted in frustration and loss of productivity. Without productivity 0AD will continue to stall and be a boring, depthless and laggy experience.

Though I'm still a fan of 0AD potential and I hope there will be new momentum soon.

Our repositories are located here:

https://github.com/0ADMods/

WFG has heaps of community funds.

Why not give 1000$ + 1 year time to Philip for completing his already begun fix of the pathfinder?

Well, first and most importantly I haven't seen any indication that Philip would want to do this And second, the results last time aren't all that promising. Not because Philip isn't a skilled programmer (he's a very skilled programmer as far as I can tell), but rather that it doesn't seem as if money will encourage him to finish it. That might be because money isn't motivating him enough to do this task, or the task itself is too boring or something else. But in either case the end result is that unless something changes I don't see a way for money to get Philip to work on the pathfinder.

Why noone cares for a second AI (Hannibal) next to Petra?

I thought agentx cared for it? I guess you mean on the team though. As far as I know there isn't anyone against there being more AIs, but as time is limited people might not spend too much time on it specifically.

Thank you for the answers. I must apologize for my rude words recently. It seems I've lost patience.

If you allow me to add, that I think Philip mainly doesn't want to get paid because he knows of the pressure that lays on a dev that is being paid. The whole community's hope and welfare laying in the hands of one man is not an easy to bear burden.

That's why I thought of omitting all the development reports and also the monthly payment and instead am opting for the reward system. If you think 1000$ and 1 year is not enough time, then we can also settle on a time limit of 2 years which should remove most of the pressure.

A reward system is less pressure for devlopers than paid development where expectations reach above the sky.

I thought agentx cared for it? I guess you mean on the team though. As far as I know there isn't anyone against there being more AIs, but as time is limited people might not spend too much time on it specifically.

You are right, it's the benefit of our new Mod configurator, that the Hannibal AI can still be added. I want to beg the community's and 0AD team's pardon for my rude words.

• Like 1