Arms and Armour terminology!

Mythos_Ruler

3 hours ago, SeleucidKing said:

Um.. I dont think we are thinking of the same thing. Phalangites are individual units of a Diadochi phalanx (syntagma) right? Also I'm kinda certain I'm thinking of the right shield is the Seleucid Argyraspides phalangites. Argyr (silver) aspi (refering to the shield)

The placement of the Royal Peltasts in the battle line indicate that they are heavy phalangites like the others in the line. This indicate to me that the small round shield carry by the phalangites (pikemen) was called a pelta/pelte. Seems "pelte" was the word for any small shield, not just the crescent shield of the skirmisher. Aspis just mean shield but I have seen indicate a large shield like the one Hoplite carry. Hoplon seem to have been the general word for weapons and armor. The kit of a warrior is called Panoply. Pan = All, oply = derived from same word base as hoplon for weapons and armor. This is all armchair supposition on my part.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • user1 unpinned this topic