Wat tatic will you use

julius1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A walking wall of hoplites singing the "peana" before launching themselves to the assault when just in a shot of arrow range and fighting with the firm step, covered by mobile peltasts at sides. Will it be possible? I hope tactic will give a lot of fun and also some sort of historical accuracy with unit characteristics ( no dubt about that )

Edited by IS_NormanDuck

A walking wall of hoplites singing the "peana" before launching themselves to the assault when just in a shot of arrow range and fighting with the firm step, covered by mobile peltasts at sides. Will it be possible? I hope tactic will give a lot of fun and also some sort of historical accuracy with unit characteristics ( no dubt about that )

They don't want every little thing to be 100% correct. Just 99.98%.

It remains a 0,02 then :blush:

:bag::P:lol:

Another good thing is the idea of the citizen-soldiers. If i have understood well, so it will be no longer possible to annoy your enemy's weak villagers (or citizens) w 1 spear 2 skirms... villagers would become hoplites or so and refuse any attempt of those ridiculous attacks :) that is more similar to real-ancient-life and less similar to a pacman-legacy game

from what ive seen in the game booming is the way to go because when u rush your bound to lose more units than ur opponent and since losing military is the same as losing economy its a lose-lose situation

May be true for 0AD, but man, can I rush with the Ottomans in AOEIII! Un-freakin-stoppable! lol. Okay, they weren't that good, especially after some of the changes they made to the Ottos for being 'overpowered'. Heh. The ottomans weren't overpowered. Everyone else was underpowered. :)

yes in aoe3 at one point the abus jan beat everything (except maybe age3 spanish lancers) but since jan abus was age II it was unstopable and u could only hope that the opponent messed up

as for 0ad i see the games lasting a long time and being dependant on map control with both players taking more land until there isnt any more to take and then the fighting starts. the games will probably be slower at the start because a rush appears to be a win quick or die quick strategy with no recovery but i guess i cant really say that until ive played the game

as for 0ad i see the games lasting a long time and being dependant on map control with both players taking more land until there isnt any more to take and then the fighting starts. the games will probably be slower at the start because a rush appears to be a win quick or die quick strategy with no recovery but i guess i cant really say that until ive played the game

I agree, especially with everything that seems set in place. Rushes will probably be substantially weaker in 0 AD, which in many ways enhances and prolongs game play. Rushes sometimes were real downers for people looking to play a fun game.

I do see some sort of newer strategies emerging here though, with the Iberians being a important cog in the wheel. Militia armies bring something completely new to the RTS genre, at least to the AOE-like game play area. The Iberians really give me a hope for a fairly mobile, very resilient, and very guerrilla-prone nation.

Turtling never really appealed to me, but we could have some possibilites with the Iberians that we haven't seen before, like the concept of an 'open turtle' where the player uses a guerilla strategy to inflict the hurt upon the enemy while taking minimum losses as they spread across the map absorbing resources. The enemy will of course run around with a big army, but taking out the Iberians, who attack your villagers with small groups as soon as you attack their sturdy buildings, could be grossly ineffective.

Anyway, just my thoughts. :) I really don't know much about the Iberians, but I wrote on basically what I've heard (or thought I heard) about what playing with the Iberians might be like.

Y, a booming that means "seemcity" for 40 minutes befoe fighting is something boring.

Instead of that, it would be very funny pushing economy taking one or two eyes to strategical points such as resourche sites or strategical point to place fortress etc.

So a "pure boomer" after 40 minutes would give the first strategical look to the map and would say "doh, near those resourches there are enemy troops" "doh, w that enemy castle my troops must walk for 10 miles to go from here to there... and so on.

A thing i think is not funni in other games is the capability to build a fortress or another dangerous military building deep inside enemy territory. For example Rise Of Nations solved very well this problem allowing buildings only in main territory

im not a big fan of territories as everytime theyve been included in a game the game tends to flop but im hoping that Wildfire has some unique and original way of doing it thatll make it fun and i think they said that it can be turned on or off (not sure tho)

from what ive seen in the game booming is the way to go because when u rush your bound to lose more units than ur opponent and since losing military is the same as losing economy its a lose-lose situation

Actually a rush is to destroy an economy as you grow yours. It's a balance of economy and pumping out (usually) cavalry and some archers.

Even a few simple raids can be extremely effective in the long run if you can kill off 3-5 citizens/villagers and slow down the resource gathering as the surviving villagers flee to safety.

You'd be really surprised... I don't know for 0AD, but in other games rush is extremely effective.

Edited by Silver