An invisible "scout"

Camouflage was important in ancient times no?  Trying to blend in with your surroundings, or at least for certian civs.  Maybe a unit that can't attack, but can get really good scouting info without being seen, unless u had a unit within X distance.... (very small) 

47 minutes ago, Emacz said:

Nice Stan, hopefully it wont be able to attack in cloaked mode :)

My favorite "spy" unit I've seen in an RTS was way back 30 years ago in Command & conquer: Red Alert. 

To you, it looked like a guy in a tuxedo (think: James Bond), but to the enemy it looked like just one of their own soldiers. So, then you could move your Spy into the enemy base relatively undetected. The only detection methods were the fact that you couldn't command an enemy spy to do anything, even though it looked like one of your men. This would clue you into the fact that it was indeed a spy. Also, one faction had Guard Dogs that the Spy had to avoid, else they'd detect him and maul him. The Spy could infiltrate enemy structures and you could then see what that structure was doing. The Spy could also "Sabotage" the structure by damaging it by a certain percentage. 

• Like 3

On 17/05/2024 at 7:57 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My favorite "spy" unit I've seen in an RTS was way back 30 years ago in Command & conquer: Red Alert. 

To you, it looked like a guy in a tuxedo (think: James Bond), but to the enemy it looked like just one of their own soldiers. So, then you could move your Spy into the enemy base relatively undetected. The only detection methods were the fact that you couldn't command an enemy spy to do anything, even though it looked like one of your men. This would clue you into the fact that it was indeed a spy. Also, one faction had Guard Dogs that the Spy had to avoid, else they'd detect him and maul him. The Spy could infiltrate enemy structures and you could then see what that structure was doing. The Spy could also "Sabotage" the structure by damaging it by a certain percentage. 

AOE4 has this with the ninjas and they can damage/destroy buildings and drop smokes and run fast.

I don't recommend this kind of mechanic.

Now, it might be cool for a civ to have a unit equivalent of the scout tower. I think that would be cool for an american civ.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce