PLS fix sever crashing at min 30+

4 hours ago, hyperion said:

So I have no doubt that 32bit is an issue which people might run into occasionally, was just wondering if the last community mod might have moved the tipping point based on recent noise but according to @chrstgtr that doesn't seem to be the case. I think the last notable rise in requirements was with A24 and earlier version should be much less likely to run into this.

Note, the mac replay I posted was from a 64 bit mac host. 

It's been awhile now, but I do think you are right that the OOS error has become more common over the longer term. I don't recall it ever happening when I first started playing in a21. Sometime after that it became a known but pretty rare thing. For a26 it feels like a once every 2-3 weeks in games that I am in

16 hours ago, hyperion said:

From my limited knowledge of Windows memory model, it allows sort of overcommit

I'm not sure that works for 32 bits apps.

Basically :

- Default 32 bit app : max 2GB of RAM

- Large adress aware 32 bit app : max 4GB of ram

- 64 bit app

I couldn't see any swapping info on the MSDN links https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2222901/memory-allocation-limit-for-a-32-bit-app-on-a-64-bit-system

11 hours ago, chrstgtr said:

I don't recall it ever happening when I first started playing in a21.

I think there was no popup then. elexis fixed a shitton of OOS in A23b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

- Large adress aware 32 bit app : max 4GB of ram

But only on a 64bit Windows. The 4GB are also referring to virtual memory and not ram per se. Using my numbers from before only 1.5GB would have to "live" in physical ram.

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

I couldn't see any swapping info on the MSDN links

After an arduous journey of convincing the search engine (tm) that I don't want to backup files I found it's called paging on Windows and the "swapfile" is called pagefile.sys and hidden and managed for you by default.

While Linux just pretends the extra 5.5GB memory exists until it's used (true overcommit) Windows should be able to "page" it according to my understanding. Ofc the 32bit Windows build doesn't use 7GB virtual memory but it's pretty safe to assume that maximum of 4GB is just barely enough.

57 minutes ago, Stan` said:

That's about page size (continuous blocks of memory similar to blocksize for hard disks), paging (or swapping in unix speak) moves pages between ram and hdd. :) Page size is about efficiency, to small means to much overhead and to large means waste of space.

I can't find good docs either, but an article talking about it would be https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html Unfortunately, the use of the term virtual memory in that article is again different than what virtual memory is about :balrog: (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory for a somewhat decent introduction) and the statements about minimum and maximum size are almost certainly not true either but alas ...