Toon Shader? [SOLVED: NOT FEASIBLE]

I was wondering if it would be possible to give 0 A.D. a shader like that of Breath of the Wild or Fire Emblem Three Houses. I was able to achieve a similar effect by applying the anime shader in Reshade but this happened... image.png?ex=656bf14a&is=65597c4a&hm=624d4d294755e186a5838908b77c39efb0fdf6c65d302282852c3319ce013008&

The cel-shading is there but the borders are upside down for some reason...

I was wondering if I could code this type of shader into 0 A.D. itself, and if so, any ideas how?

Edited by AGamer
  • Like 2

On 20/11/2023 at 9:09 PM, AGamer said:

The cel-shading is there but the borders are upside down for some reason...

Which version of the game are you using?

1 hour ago, AGamer said:

Not necessarily what I am trying to do (cel-shading) but I can use it to better understand 0 A.D.'s shader structure.

Post-processing stage might be too late for you do cel shading. Because ideally it requires normal and light information. So adjusting model and terrain shaders might give a better result (though it's more complex than post-processing). Also keep in mind that we now support Vulkan, it means GLSL shaders won't work there, they require precompilation (if you'd like to support Vulkan backend ping me).

• Like 1

I am using Alpha 26 and thank you for the info! I will do research into Vulkan and see if I can achieve what I am looking for and if so I will ping you. For now, thanks for the help!

On 21/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, vladislavbelov said:

Which version of the game are you using?

Post-processing stage might be too late for you do cel shading. Because ideally it requires normal and light information. So adjusting model and terrain shaders might give a better result (though it's more complex than post-processing). Also keep in mind that we now support Vulkan, it means GLSL shaders won't work there, they require precompilation (if you'd like to support Vulkan backend ping me).

6 hours ago, AGamer said:

I am using Alpha 26 and thank you for the info! I will do research into Vulkan and see if I can achieve what I am looking for and if so I will ping you. For now, thanks for the help!

Vulkan is in the next development version, if you want the most Up-to-date Vulkan implementation you have to compile it or if you want to test out slightly older version you can look at first post here 

• Like 1

On 23/11/2023 at 2:34 AM, Stan` said:

You cannot use Vulkan on A26.

On 23/11/2023 at 10:24 AM, asterix said:

Vulkan is in the next development version, if you want the most Up-to-date Vulkan implementation you have to compile it or if you want to test out slightly older version you can look at first post here 

Thank you both for your help!

I appreciate you guys letting me know before I freak out over it not working like a moron. 

• AGamer changed the title to Toon Shader? [SOLVED: NOT FEASIBLE]

@AGamer Just to clarify, I did not say it was not possible with OpenGL (Although has @vladislavbelov said, it might be trickier to do it in postprocess).
The point was that changing just openGL shaders would not work, you'd have to to change shaders for Vulkan as well. If you don't use Vulkan you don't need to worry about it for now.

Ah, I see. I will have to figure out how shaders work before proceeding. I was kind of just messing around but for now I will resign to adding more important things like units and factions. Thank you for the clarification, @Stan`!

On 26/11/2023 at 6:19 AM, Stan` said:

@AGamer Just to clarify, I did not say it was not possible with OpenGL (Although has @vladislavbelov said, it might be trickier to do it in postprocess).
The point was that changing just openGL shaders would not work, you'd have to to change shaders for Vulkan as well. If you don't use Vulkan you don't need to worry about it for now.