QuickStart mod - Automate repeated actions at game start

Mentula

Hi!

Let me start with a quote from 0 A.D. - The Vision:

Repetition - If you find yourself doing the same action over and over without thought, then we need to either eliminate or automate such an action. Linear repetitious procedures are meaningless and boring.

The above quote neatly summarizes the reason why I made QuickStart. QuickStart is a mod that allows to automatically perform predefined actions as game starts, reducing initial micromanagement. Official mod page on GitLab here.

Initial steps can be customized from the Options menu, see image below:

bitmap.png.413ccbde8d5ade03f5113ad3dc113b5e.png

QuickStart and proGUI

In short: proGUI mod embeds QuickStart, with differences. But if you enjoy stories and moral concerns, keep reading.

Spoiler

The idea of developing a framework that allows defining macros in 0 A.D. has been in my head for a while and I eventually took no real action.

But I am a curious guy, and before giving up I wanted to explore what can be done and what can not. QuickStart has been my first project in that direction.

Besides the practical issues, I sensed (from the forum thread on macros and further discussion) that some players express a -fully legitimate, in my opinion- concern on the definition of what is legitimate and what is not in a game. That raised some inner conflict about the opportunity of publishing QuickStart. Among the choices I had, I took the worst one: keeping it public on my GitLab and not posting it on the forum. Well done, Mentula. :pardon:

Enters @Atrik, cutting the Gordian knot. With proGUI mod (which includes QuickStart) made public on the forum, the Pandora box has been opened and, to some extent, it relieved me of my moral dilemmas.

QuickStart and the embedded-QuickStart-in-proGUI are currently taking two different paths code-wise and I don't know whether they will eventually merge.

Anyway, there are multiple good reasons why a player would use QuickStart without affecting the GUI and the game session, so I will keep maintaining the project and announcing updates.

Be aware that...

This mod executes automated actions. This can be considered as a cheat. When you play a game with this mod, make sure other players are aware you are using this mod and agree.

Installation

Click here to download the latest release. Install following the official 0 A.D. guide: How to install mods?

Alternative downloads: Latest Release (.pyromod) | Latest Release (.zip) | Older Releases

Contribute

The public repository is at this page. Everybody is very welcome to contribute, suggest, fork or simply give feedback. Have fun!

Edited by Mentula
inserted warning that the mod is a cheat
  • Like 2

Not all civs and strategies will have the same start. I think a good feature of the quickstart mod would be some way to opt out of your preset actions before the game starts, although I have no idea how it could be done. I suppose if a macro keystroke is used to initiate the quickstart sequence you can then choose whether or not to do it. Macros in 0ad ... hmm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mentula said:

The idea of developing a framework that allows defining macros in 0 A.D. has been in my head for a while and I eventually took no real action.

Wow just found out about this. I wonder what's the idea, you're not very specific in the thread. ProGUI is already a kind of attempt to allow players to customize some macros. I'll be so happy to see something more customizable/modular. The challenges I see is to have the gui adapted to be able to add/remove buttons for controlling the macros.

Not all civs and strategies will have the same start. I think a good feature of the quickstart mod would be some way to opt out of your preset actions before the game starts, although I have no idea how it could be done.

You can always leave some units unassigned in QuickStart, for instance, you could want only cav to go to closest meat, and the rest to await your instructions. In version of QuickStart that's integrated in progui you can have the unassigned units stay in CC (Feature suggested and improved by behundar, where you can still make the placement of a building then the units will be selected upon manual unload).

Of course, you won't have a big "edge" using QuickStart, and you could just don't see the point, that's a good thing. For me, I just tend to dislike the stress I go trough when a new game start and the first thing I need to do is to do a sequence of clicks as fast as possible (for me, always the same). I'm glad QuickStart does this for me while I can look around my CC and my allies to see how it looks like. (Still have less then 3secondes to do this before needing to manage, so It feels just right).

Edited by Atrik

14 hours ago, borg- said:

Go to the trees closest to the cc?

Yes, I'm not finding much sense in setting the default targets elsewhere. :scratch_one-s_head:Also, go to meat closest to CC, go to fruit closest to CC, go to stone closest to CC etc... units garrison into closest CC (QuickStart supports multiple CCs).

I forgot to say. Downloads are (currently) for A27. The latest release of QuickStart for A26 can be downloaded here.