===[TASK]===[VOICES]=== Voices - Latin

Itms

the pronounciation sounds correct to me (studied Latin with proper classical pronounciation). I am not sure about ave though (in your male sounds).

I think it should be slightly more like ah veh instead of ah vee. Not entirely sure though.

I must say, the female voices sound really nice. I like the intensity of the attack voice. However the fight voice in comparison is a bit too weak and fast in my opinion.

Edited by nylki

nylki: I agree with you for the 'fight' voice. About the ave, I actually pronounced it ah-veh but I listened again and it's not perfectly clear. So I should try to record these two phrases again.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Yes it did, I was just answering nylki about the eh/ee problem but the pronunciation in the recordings is rightly W.

To get a precise idea, is the intonation of 'my lord' right for the male voice? I agree it lacks 'drama' on the female one.

Can't listen to the voices so not criticizing you guys here, but here is proper Latin pronunciation in "Classical Latin" according to my Latin Teacher with a PHD in Roman culture.

v - pronounced like a w (So Flavius is pronunced Flawius)

a - pronounced like "ah"

e - pronounced like the Fonz ("Eh!")

ae - pronounced like the word "I"

u - pronnounced like a double O (So Flawioos)

i - pronounced like the long way (like the word "I")

ii - pronounced like the letter E (So Gladii is Glad-eey-eey)

c - pronounced like a K

o - pronounced normally, just depends on the letter usage

y - pronounced like in the word "I" "So Lekythos is Lek - aye - thos)

Edited by Flavius Aetius
  • Like 1

Can't listen to the voices so not criticizing you guys here, but here is proper Latin pronunciation in "Classical Latin" according to my Latin Teacher with a PHD in Roman culture.

a - pronounced like "ah"

c - pronounced like a K

My latin teacher pronounced the same way, except "ae" (pronounced like e - "Eh!") and "i" and "y" (pronounced like the letter "E" in English).

Edited by serveurix

a - pronounced like "ah"

c - pronounced like a K

Thanks Flavius!

I use this pronunciation, so no problem!

I just disagree for 'y', because it's a letter that doesn't exist in Latin. Many Latin words taken for Greek have a 'y', therefore they are pronounced like the French 'u' (this sound doesn't exist in English, if I'm not mistaken). This is not a problem because there is no 'y' in the recorded voices :)

I'm no Latin expert, but 2 thing struck me here:

Wouldn't it make sense that "ae" is an diphthong?

The English pronunciation of the letters "i" an "e" are an aberration, because of the great vowel shift some centuries ago. Better pronounce them as in any Romance language I guess, as and [e].

not example Caesar is pronounces Kaesar

I'm no Latin expert, but 2 thing struck me here:

Wouldn't it make sense that "ae" is an diphthong?

The English pronunciation of the letters "i" an "e" are an aberration, because of the great vowel shift some centuries ago. Better pronounce them as in any Romance language I guess, as and [e].

Yes you're right, and being French I don't have this vowel problem :)

But Flavius had to use English words to explain what sounds he talked about. Can you confirm the recorded voices sound good to you?

EDIT: sorry, actually I dońt agree at all with Flavius on 'i', because I made a mistake in my English pronunciation!

And about 'ae' linguists tend to think it was actually not a dipthong.

Edited by Itms

It is pronounced like the word "I". The reason it's pronounced like an "I" and not like an "eh" or "ee" is because the latter two pronunciations are a result of arabic turkish influence, through modifications of letters like the diaresis.

E.g. Aetius should be "Aye-tee-oos", not "Ee-tee-oos" or "Eh-tee-oos" because the Diaresis often put over the E in Aetius' name did not exist until the 11th century AD. (Although the pronunciation is also debatable because it is Latinized Greek [Aetios -> Aetius])

As for the letter Y, I think that in the Latin words that used a Y (can't think of any off the top of my head) its pronunciation was based on context.

And yes, the German "Kaisar" is the correct way to pronounce "Caesar"

Edited by Flavius Aetius
  • Like 4

Flavius: I think everyone here (at least me, you and GunCheloc) agrees on the pronunciation. However, some vowel sounds do not correspond to anything existing in English, due to the shift. This is the reason why 'ae', pronounced [ae], is very close to 'I' [aǝ].

To solve this Babel problem, I suggest you make remarks directly about the recordings, so I have a precise idea of possible mistakes!

And by the way, I just updated the voices in the first post. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...