My first scenario, looking for feedback :)

Hi, this is my first forum post, I've created a small map for personal use. I made it in a few days, and it's not the best. Forgive me, I'm still learning the ropes. Looking for feedback! Without further ado, I present my first half-decent, horribly unbalanced map, the Battle of Iapetra, downloadable below. Screenshots will hopefully be added soon.

image.thumb.png.3ec27b4377e35e07988fd8ab8a0cc15d.png

image.thumb.png.a62afcb097f921183e20ede763329fb8.pngimage.thumb.png.f57d781d9a27bafa8362492a5ae57e1d.png

I hope you enjoy, and apologies for the inaccurate name!

city_siege.pmpcity_siege.xml

Edited by AlphaEpsilon290
Added screenshots
  • Like 4

Some tips:
Scenarios are cool because we can emulate certain features that existed at that location and at that time so be sure to add trees and use the atlas relief modifiers, there are a lot of cool things to use. Keep us updated with future updates!

• Like 2

Hi @AlphaEpsilon290 and welcome,

My tips would be to try break pattern in terrain textures, take about e.g. 3 main terrain elements and add to it with a small brush where needed. Play around and note the difference between left click terrain painting, and right click terrain painting.

It's also nice to not only break terrain textures, but the terrain itself too by adding some height differences like holes, bumps, mountains, hills (and by texturing those accordingly) etc.

Wildlife and nature can do some wonders to the atmosphere and setting aswell. If you want this map to be played without the unlimited resources setting, it's standard to have the following resources near the civic centre: About 10 chicken and 5 bushes for food, some straggler tree's nearby for early wood without needing a store house, and a big metal and stone mine about a farms reach away from the civic centre.  Ofcourse you don't neccesarily have to follow this standard, but it can give you an idea.

Good luck and have fun :) 

• Like 1