Pila muralia for roman military camp

nifa

hi all,

I took my first few steps in blender and tried to recreate a wall of pila muralia (or pilum murale), which are wooden sticks made out of oak. The Roman legions used to carry them with them to quickly build up military camps without having to cut down trees first. They piled up an earth wall, stuck the pila muralia in it and tied it together in the middle.

image.thumb.png.865357c64786c246746458b2f1053ff3.png

Pila muralia.jpgPilum murale – Wikipedia

Now I was wondering if that would be something to use for a replacement of the recent army camp model, which is a bit too small and outdated imo.

I also found some nice reference for new tents (e.g. for the centurio): http://www.castrum-novaesium.de/Seitenraster.12.html

The camps always had a very similar structure, mostly square or rectangle with 1 entrance on each site and round corners. Some of them were build for a night, others were upgraded with stone walls and barracks, e.g. to protect a border.

I was wondering if it's possible to build the wall with drag&drop in a rectangular shape and then automatically fill it up with tents? The point were you click the mousebutton would define one corner, and the point where you release it would define the corner on the diagonal side. That would let the player decide about the size and the shape of the camp, while it's still only one button in the building menu of the units. Would that be easy to realize or is a lot of coding required?

Edited by nifa

screenshot0002.png.70e34d3d7c1af00703f75631c4aa495c.png

On 26/02/2022 at 3:41 PM, Stan` said:

Sure. But I see no files.

here they are:) i'm not yet convinced of the textures though

On 26/02/2022 at 3:11 PM, Stan` said:

Unfortunately unless it's for scenarios such a big roman camp would not be easy to place in the game. And as such could not replace the small camp.

the smallest size could be like the recent camp but with the option to draw the camp to a bigger square

rome_pilum_murale.png

rome_pilum_murale.dae pila_murale.blend

Edited by nifa
  • Thanks 1