Will the Celts be naked

Watcher

Personaly I hope the celts are naked (no not because I am gay.) But because it is historicly acurate and personaly it would rock to see what the enemy says. I mean in an RTS if you start getting beaten up by naked warriors when your troops have amour on you are going to feel quite pwned :D .

Personaly I want naked celts to own with B). Not to mention its historical acuracy.

Woad is mostly a Briton thing IIRC, although the Gauls did do it as well, but Jason would know more than me. And there will be heavily armored Celts for your information, because the time period we are doing for them is well after they stopped fighting buff (which ended in the 3rd century BC, at least in mainland Europe).

Ah well, tis a pity. Naked celts where something that I would have liked to see tongue.gif. Will they atleast paint most of there bodys with woad?

Well, there is always mods B) I have discussed doing an official 'historical' mod for those who care (no promises :D), but it wouldn't be in the default game we have distribute to the masses. Something like nudity in the game distracts more than it adds - no matter if was historical or not.

And yes, like Paul said... from the reading I have done, the woad was more of a Brit than a Gaul thing. Look for the Brit specific units to have a usage of woad B)

because the time period we are doing for them is well after they stopped fighting buff (which ended in the 3rd century BC, at least in mainland Europe).

Yes, but not in Britain. The Scots continued to fight naked all the way up until the battle at Stirling. :D ( B) I guess the closest the film makers for Braveheart could get to that was having them moon the English)

Going buffer was also seen as a status symbol since usually only the largest (muscular, physical build B)) and bravest warriors would do that. By doing it they exposed their bodies to extreme risk, while relying on tatoos, woad patterns, and spells to keep them safe. This could make huge impressions on their fellow countrymen, while scaring the bejabbers out of their opponents.

Polybius tells of one humourous encounter with the Celts (at Telamon I belive) where the naked first ranks of the Celtic army wore their golden torques on their necks and arms. The Romans got over the shock of naked opponents and became very intent on killing the nudies as quickly as possible so they could take their gold :D

There'd be quite a bit of "shrinkage" (see Seinfeld). It might even be safer, since there's be less projection. Just a thought.

Yeah. I really don't want to see men running about pantless, even for accuracy's sake. Just the same as I don't want to see child sacrifice or arms getting hacked off in battle.

LOL That is true :D Although being bigger means that your shield covers less of you, even if you have a huge Celtic scutum-style body shield. That was something that happened during many battles between the Celts and Romans: big Celts were winged in the shoulder, leg, or torso with pila because their shields (while normal sized) were too small for them.

• 4 years later...