Weapon Textures

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay. I merged most of what I've done up to now. (as a separate files so I can still get to them if I need to.)

EDIT: cool! I figured out how to resize layers (so their boundaries aren't so big). That would have been really helpful earlier....

EDIT: Even better! Autocrop layer so useful.

Looks great B) I think in the javalins, we'll only need 1 or 2 of the solid metal ones. I'd like one to be nearly black (very dark gray). That would probably be the middle one (including its tip). The one on the right, I'd like to have a ceremonial goldish color. Also do one for the standard spears. Also, the pilum... I think they pilum has solid metal (dark gray/black) for the portion after the taper starts. This would be instead of the wood.

But, after you put the hand grips on them, I think you'll be done with the spears.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, one question: I'm probably going to use the pilum as a guide for where the hard grips go, but I don't know if they should go on an area equivalent to in front of the pilum or behind it.

1/1/2005 to 1/11/2005 (in chronological order more or less)

Added slight noise effect to wood - more realistic

Started a document* on a few texture techniques that I always wanted to do. (I've only done one though.)

-got internet back-

Made pilums iron

Made one spear goldish and one dark.

Will (hopefully) have time to make some standard spears iron and upload something tommorrow while fitting in time to debug mouse cursor "Out of Order" sign (don't ask) for website.

*I was thinking maybe we could have all our texture artists provide their own little tips and we can have an article on texturing on the website.

OK, lets see.. things are always looking better! Few comments:

For the pillum, here this will help:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/~art/history/...ages/PILUM.html

The things you colored in are supposed to be wood :D The only thing you'll have to texture on that part will be the two 'bolts' and possible a metal cap that fasten the wood block to the shaft. Also notice above the wood blocks... the shafts of the pillum is all metal.

About the grips.. lets not worry about this yet because I'm not sure of this myself. I want to do some animating first and see where the hands end up. So if you could just make the grip layers I can stick those where I need them be later.

1/17/2005

Upgraded GIMP to 2.2.1, waiting for Windows binary of 2.2.2 to be put on internet

Found instructions on how to compile GIMP stuff on Windows, might be able to compile dds plugin for me and Shan

Got really annoyed at internet connection going wacko

Started fixing axe blades

Got disappointed with results

Waiting for orders :P

Ah, sorry I must have missed you...

Yeah it'll be shrunk down to 256x256 :P Maybe have a cinimatic version that will be 512x512.

Ok, next... go ahead and work on the bows and axes.

Hold off on the dds plugin. Philip is working on a little stand alone program for incoorperating player color usage and dds files.

Sorry for the lack of work. Been really really busy. Just barely started color variations for bows. Also, I've started downloading all the dependancies I need for compiling GIMP. (If this were Linux, I'd already have most of those dependancies and I'd be able to get them easily, but whatever)

In case you are curious how many,

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp...icrosoftWindows

lol

Anyway, hopefully, my custom compiled one will be better optimized for my computer and run smoother. And I'd have the most recent one. If it does, I'll send the link to Shan as well. And there are several plugins I'd like to try out. Alright, I'll hold on the dds plugin.

But whatever. Hopefully I'll have more time for this later.