Weapon Textures

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If by PSP you mean Paint Shop Pro, I've tried the demo. Didn't like it. When you've been working in GIMP so long you get used to its GUI and can't produce the same results in a different one. At least, not right away. Besides, that costs money and GIMP is in GNU. Also, the demo of PSP didn't have all the brushes I'm used to. (Long live the fuzzy brushes!)

If you mean Photoshop, isn't that something like $700? Also, I expect it's GUI to be similar to Paint Shop Pro's.

When you've been working in GIMP so long you get used to its GUI and can't produce the same results in a different one.
Exactly, its all in what your used to :saruman: I'd be floundering in GIMP the same way you would be in PSP. Yeah true PSP does cost around $60 if you can find it on sale and on a rebate. But its a lot more inexpensive than PS. Not sure what you mean by a fuzzy brush, but PSP 9's got a lot more brush functionality that is very similiar to Painter 7. You can also make your own custom brushes. Works great with a wacom tablet. But, yeah, stick with what works unless you run into problems with PSD files. Go ahead and save in your default GIMP format and on you last revision, export that psd and upload it to the server.

I always save in xcf anyway.

Fuzzy brushes: THE best brushes for shadows you can find anywhere. Used with the airbrush tool. It's how I do every single one of my shadows. And if you can't find one of the right size or fuzziness, run the script to generate the perfect one. (Or wait for GIMP 2.2 to go stable and be able to change the brushes attributes dynamically.)

And I make custom brushes all the time.

post-390-1102727757_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lack of progress (again, it was the stupid school project.).

but now, I should be able to get back to my regular pace because the project is done.

I did do some work on the kopis. I've gotten leather grips on both of them (to make them more different from the falcatas). I don't know what kind of decorations to put on them, so I made some ones of my own. I'll post screens ASAP.

http://wildfiregames.com/~art/david/02-weapons/weapons.jpg

Latest pic.

Wijit, if it's not too much of a bother, could you put together a screen with those in 3DS MAX? I've gotten Yafray to export the models, but Yafray lighting and GMAX lighting doesn't match up well and it's nearly impossible to get good lighting. It's either all grey or all white.

sure no problem at all, here you go:

weaponrender1.jpg

I made the fixes to the UV's to get them to work. Here is the revised 3dsmax file:

http://wildfiregames.com/~art/david/02-weapons/weapons.3DS

Looking at those UV's... there is a ton of errors on it. So I just want to say again, only use the template I provided as a guildline. Make the texture as you see fit at we can modify the UV's to match.

Cool. Actually, it's outdated. ;) I had no time at all to upload the most recent one earlier today.

Hmm..... I feel stupid! I have a trial of Cinema 4d installed here an it can read 3ds files. (but not gmax, so I'm glad you fixed up the UVs). I can just render from there.

Okay, here are some updated renders.

all.jpg

akinakes1.jpg

akinakes2.jpg

akinakes3.jpg

akinakes4.jpg

We'll need to fix some UVs or the map.

Yeah, don't worry about the UV's just make the texture look right, I'll straighten them out.

The 2 on the right of your screen are supposed to have 2 round knobies at the bottom. If you could bring those out in the texture.. that would be great.

Also, the remaining 3... the top pommel. Still looks like its using my nasty ugly temporary gradient I slapped on there. Please don't use that :P I shouldn't have even layed that down. If you could make them as a whole piece like the to tops on the right... that would be much better.

Otherwise, looking good.

Better?

gladii2.jpg

Ignore the blades. I was too tired to adjust the UVs again. They're the same as before anyway.

I'm still not happy with the roundness of the knobs, but the UV map is confusing. I'll work on that part some more later.

Actual texture:

http://wildfiregames.com/~art/david/02-weapons/weapons3.jpg

Hehe. After looking at the texture, I think it's obvious approximately what order I did these. I may have to touch up a few of the older ones. :P

Improved knobs.

handles.jpg

Texture map:

http://wildfiregames.com/~art/david/02-weapons/weapons3.jpg

So.... if that's good enough and all the other swords are good enough, I'm going to need more info.

@Paal: Here's the map of all the weapons that are here, so you can get the info all at once (assuming that's more convenient for you).

http://wildfiregames.com/~art/david/02-weapons/weapons.gif

Ok, great well done David :D

I think you can move on to the spears now. These should be pretty easy to do after the swords. Basically I'm just looking for a few variations on the shaft wood color (variance of browns - light, dark, gray, etc...) and simple 'wraps' (for lack of a better word). This 'wraps' is the area were they would put thier hands for support etc... There would probably be some weathering on the wood. You could also give the spear tips a few different shades of light gray-to-near black.

Oh, and those spear tips aren't maped very well, so if you just want to count the spear tips (21 on the top? 7 on the next level?) and make your own shading gradient to spread them out more evently, I can adjust the uvmap to accomidate.

Pretty much all the spears are standard spears, except the pilum are a bit different (they are the ones with the wood rectangle sections). And there needs to be one solid iron rod (very dark gray), for the Iberians.

Any more questions about spears and ideas for variance.. ask Paul, he'd know more than I B)