No sound over HDMI when playing in fullscreen mode

13 hours ago, Stan` said:

Make sure it's picking the right soundcard.

How? When I select the monitor's speakers (monitor connected via HDMI) in Windows 10's traybar symbol before I start 0 A.D., I hear sound. When I start 0 A.D. in windowed mode, I hear its sound, too. But when I run 0 A.D. in fullscreen mode, there is no sound anymore - without any changes from me about the output sound interface. The only activated other output sound interface is USB headphones, which always work without problems. It seems that the fullscreen mode causes audio-via-HDMI problems.

Thanks, but that does not help, unfortunately. I tested the same PC, same monitor, same Windows 10 settings and same a25 RC2 with a Displayport cable instead of an HDMI cable (of which I had tested several ones before), and with the DP cable, there is 0 A.D. sound also in fullscreen mode. When I replace the DP by the HDMI cable, the game has no sound on fullscreen mode (only in windowed mode).

I suspect that Intel messed up something that game developers might not be able to fix. If somebody has experienced the same problem (with 0 A.D. or other games in fullscreen mode), please share it here. Maybe it helps. Thank you. :)

16 minutes ago, smiley said:

Probably due to exclusive full screen usage. But I think if the proper audio devices are selected instead of letting SDL implicitly pick one would fix it. There was also a weird bug in hidpi monitors due to the game still using exclusive full screen.

We don't use the SDL to pick audio devices (We use OpenAL). I think the only usage of the SDL in the sound engine is SDL_Delay. I'd like the thread to be moved to the thread pool in A26 to remove that explicit wait.

See https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3877 for the initial plan.

• Like 2