New Comput0r

K here we go

FanGrill.jpg

After a month of buying parts and waiting for them to arrive in the mail, I've finally setup my new computer, with the lovely assistance of Brian, what a darling.

Alright so saturday we spent 8 hours assembling the PC. It really only took 5 hours of building and then 1 hour of waiting for Windows to install. But then tragedy struck. As soon as I connected my machine to the world wide intarweb I got the RCP worm thing, and like 5 other viruses. We combated the viruses for about 2 hours and all was well, we didn't even have to reformat my harddrive like brian kept insisting.

Victory was had

thewinner.jpg

The PC rocks

Xp 3200+ processor (400fsb) on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, 512MB Dual Channel DDR Ram and a 120 GB hardrive. Then I also put in my old sound card (Sound Blaster Live) and graphic card (Geforce 4 MX 440 yuck) but that's alright, because the graphics card is already performing 3x better since it's not limited to a 600Mhz 2x AGP environment.

I'll be getting a new graphic card (probably Radeon 9700 Pro) later on, maybe for my birthday.

Oh yeah, and I built this entire machine for under $500.

It roxx

glow.jpg

PCinside.jpg

Oh and heres brian pretending to do something

brianpretendingtodosomething.jpg

and what looks like me humping my PC, even though I'm not

assembling.JPG

one word

wwwwwooooooooooooooooooooot!

No one knows I'm 15 unless I tell them :banana:

Anyway People usually don't go under the number 20 when trying to guess my age (in the online world), so the pic works well with that.

And yes, I kind of have an aura of being older than someone, you can put me next to someone who's 16 or 17 and I'll look older. That's the case usually.

Oh by the way, if I wear glasses (they actually make me look better, not worse) You'll think I'm married and have a family :D

Unfortunatly, I don't need glasses...yet. By the time I'm 18 I'll probably be wearing them.

Yes that's good, I'm kinda late in building mine :banana: AMD is making their next break right now with the 64bit processors, the Athlon64 and Athlon FX processors are about 10-20% faster than anything Intel is trying to dish out. Give it a year or two and that should be the perfect time to buy - right in the middle of the next generation of processors. You shouldn't get the earliest or the latest version of a chip (unless you're like me and can find a good deal) because the performance facter won't outweigh the cost, basically, you pay more money for less value.

Just try to soak up as much info as you can on www.tomshardware.com and you'll be fine.

How exact do you want them? Hehe, they were pretty exact in my post up top :banana:

Athlon XP3200+ (2205Mhz), 512MB Infineon Dual Channel DDR ram, 120GB Western Digital harddrive, Geforce 4 MX 440 (64MB DDR) graphics card, Sound Blaster Live sound card, A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (6 USB ports, 2 firewire, 2 LAN ports, audio and DVI input, and integrated Nforce Audio - which I disabled for my Sound Blaster Live) running on Windows XP Proffesional, and then I kept my monitor, speakers, keyboard, and mouse from the old PC since they were very good and I didn't need new ones.

Lol, still got the ole' MX440...when you get a new video card, don't go NVidia. Don't know if you were planning to or not, but don't.

Glasses make you older? Show us a pic :banana: There are a few people that i know that look better in glasses, I spose i can add you to the stock.

Yes, I know :banana: When I got the card I knew nothing about computer hardware or graphics cards.

Well really, theres only about a 5-10% difference in performance between Nvidia and it's Radeon Counterparts. The terrible Half Life 2 DX9 performance seems to have buzzed everyone into thinking Nvidia sucks all of a sudden, I think that it's not possible for a FX 5900 to get 10FPS on HL2 while a Radeon 9600 Pro gets 60 without some sort of tampering or optimizations going on at Valve's side, because an FX5900 does just as well as a 9600 Pro if not better at other games.

But overall, yeah Radeon gives better value, so thats what I'll be getting, a 9700 Pro hopefully, since it's cheaper by about $100-200 from a 9800 Pro, yet it's only 5% slower in performance.

Anyway look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/200312...1229/index.html

It'll answer any questions you have on graphics cards performance comparisons.